What National Legalization would do for U.S

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by xXxKidderxXx, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Ok, so after 1st hour at my school, me and my buddy started talking about how Legalizing Marijuana would help the US so much. We are in a recession right now and legalizing would most likely get us out of it. Think with roughly 16% of a americans having a stash readily handy and 50% having atleast tried it, there would be a quite a bnit of money for states as we would have to get buyers tax and growers tax and stuff liek that. No one has ever died from MJ besides a guy that was so scared of beign arrested he swallowed a bag. If the world needs to worry about a abused drug go to Alcohol, which caused 250,000 people to die in alcohol-related accidents in the past 10 years; 25,000 people die each year in alcohol related accidents; 500 people are killed weekly and 71 people daily in alcohol-related accidents; one American life is lost every 20 minutes in an alcohol-related car crash; and one out of every two Americans is likely to be involved in an alcohol-related accident in his lifetime. Every year, 708,000 persons are injured, 74,000 of them seriously, in alcohol-related crashes. About 2,000 people receive injuries each day in alcohol-related accidents. According to a recent National Geographic report, alcohol abuse costs American society $136 billion and 65,000 lives annually. 136 billion dollars out of tax payers pocket(not me as of yet)we lose more money than anything, why not have marijuana legal, causes no deaths. the number of people arrested on marijuana charges has trended steadily upward in the past decade, no matter which party controls the levers of government. The previous peak of 735,500 was recorded in 2000, with 724,000 arrested in 2001 and 697,000 in 2002.(couldnt find current statistics) why not keep them people out of jail which is close to 1 million people a year for people possesion. Everyone is Bitching because our jails are so packed i mean 1 million people out of jail would be a significant leap towards lowering prison inmates.

What are your views on this?