What my friend told me today.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by peanutbutter420, Nov 4, 2010.

1. So we were all in class discussing prop 19 and my friend said people should vote no. When I asked why he said because if it got legalized, the government would tax it so much that people couldn't afford to grow it and buy it and in turn, the marijuana business would fail and shut down. I didn't really know what to say in response. So what do you guys think about his opinion? I want to prove him wrong but don't know what to say. Help me out :D

2. who cares it didnt pass

3. Well the most I would see them taxing it would be the same as tobacco and alcohol. People can afford those too so I am sure people wouldn't have any trouble affording marijuana.

4. Retarded. Some of the taxes they've been talking about is like 5%...not bad at all. Plus if Prop 19 had passed, you could grow your own. Taxes would be less then on alcohol i think.

5. Maybe he'll frickin' grow up before 2012.

6. the only pro-pot people who i would expect to have voted no are the drug cartels and big-time dealers who stand to lose their business if it's legalized. i bet a few of them have big political influence too with all that blood money

7. Greedy bastards have always ruined society, look at our government. NO Surprise THERE!

It will become free again, someday!

8. Well like he smokes weed too but I dont think he did his research. Probably just listened to the first thing someone told him

9. ummmm....like his dealer maybe? If there is one thing that young people need to have implanted in their skulls is that when it comes to money, politics and moral issues, even people who are otherwise decent folks will lie, cheat and steal.

10. People do know that taxing "too high" is how marijuana became illegal in the first place....

Many states initiated a marijuana tax stamp policy. The only problem came that the government was not handing out tax stamps, meaning the price of a tax stamp was around infinity. People still want their marijuana, so a black market rose up to meet demand.

If the government taxes too high, people will buy from a black market, which can sell it for lower. THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE NOW(prohibition can be seen as the government taxing an infinite amount and barring anyone who doesn't pay that).

If the government taxes not too high, then people can get their product for less than black market can sell them(their risk+wholesale cost is above legal retail price. They could still make money yes, but not enough to outweigh the risk of imprisonment + fines). THIS IS WHAT WE WANT.

Let the government tax it, if they tax "too high" nothing actually changed. But we gain alot of benefits when they (most likely) don't.

11. ^Actually, the problem with the marijuana tax stamps is that you couldn't get one unless you actually presented a marijuana plant in person.

However, you couldn't possess a marijuana plant without a stamp, either.

So that was full-on effective prohibition, not via taxation.

12. Worst case scenario, it returns to how it was.

13. It wasn't an "effective prohibition"(as it has and is failing) but it was in effect legal prohibition.
    You can posses a marijuana plant now....does that stop people?

14. OK here we go.

If marijuana is illegal, there aren't many competitors in the industry. Chances are you know of less than 5 dealers.

If marijuana was legal, the number of competitors would skyrocket. Marijuana stores would pop up everywhere. Couple that with the ability to grow your own, they would have no choice but to significantly reduce their prices. Given the extreme low cost of producing marijuana, the price would go way down.

Even if they taxed it >50% it wouldn't be nearly as expensive as it is now.

Perhaps if your friend knew anything about economics/business, he wouldn't make such asinine statements.

15. #15 Trueblade, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010

The taxes the government levies on it, will not be more than the current street upgrade.

An ounce of dirty schwag goes for about $20 in Mexico. By the time it reaches California it can go for $40 an ounce. By the time it reaches New york, you're paying $100 an ounce.

Sales of Marijuana is taxable. Growth of it is not taxable under the former Prop 19.

The Marijuana business hasn't failed and shut down, despite being against the law for nearly a hundred years. If anything, the business is booming.

If any of his points were true, Holland would be a failure, and the MMJ programs wouldn't be flooded with applicants.

Competition will keep prices low. Local groweries will cut ou the multiple middle-men we currently deal with, each who boosts his price to make a profit over the previous guy. Street weed will become almost non-existent. No more being "told" you're getting some awesome shit, only to get it home and find out it was weaker than a batch you paid half as much for last week.

Prop 19 allowed for county taxes, not Federal taxes. Counties were looking at a 6-8% tax rate. So if you bought an once of $100 stuff at the store, it would cost 106 or so dollars. A small price to pay to snuff out crime, keep people out of prison for possession, and ensure that the product you are buying, is actually the product you are paying for.

That ounce would be pure, regulated, and exactly the type you want. You could save money by buying the bottom shelf swag, or go all out and throw down some cash on the top shelf chronic. But, unlike the current street method you could get whichever you wanted, whenever you wanted. The current system, you're lucky to find chronic in some locations, and it is priced sky high (I've seen some go for $600 an oz, stuff that currently sells for $50 across the border).

If the government stepped in too strictly, and made it unpurchasable, people would just again revert to underground grow operations, and imports from other countries. If the government wants to stay "In charge" of marijuana, they would have to ensure prices were low enough to keep people buying from American companies....instead of reverting back to buying from illegals. You can grow weed in your basement, attic, garage, back yard, shed, etc. Nobody would pay $500 for something they could just grow for $20, or buy off a friend grower for $30, heh.

You're friend didn't read Proposition 19. He clearly hasn't researched what a HUGE boon legalization has been for Holland. He likely doesn't know anything about how successful and relatively affordable MMJ is. He certainly didn't notice the part where you're not taxed to grow it....

16. ^Nicely put^ All you have to do is tell your friend to look at Amsterdam as they have proven success. There city is making millions if not billions in taxes off marijuana and they have actually shown usage in underage kids to have either stayed the same or DECREASED since there partial legalization. Plus they provide a SAFE place to purchase and use marijuana and help keep out of the hands of children. Just look at it this way a dealer doesn't care if you r underage or over age. Yet a "coffee shop" does. Its been statistically proven its easier for a highschool student to get marijuana than it is to get alcohol because its harder to find a 21 yr old to buy you alcohol than another student in the school to "score" you some marijuana!

17. wow your friend needs to open his eyes...you cant just hear something and go with it....its people like him that kept this prop 215 from passing...tell him great job on being a dumbass and spreading false info

18. #18 Trueblade, Nov 5, 2010

The safe place argument as always been a favorite of mine.

Lets look at underage usage. Currently people trying to move product don't just have people 21 and over coming into their stores to purchase. This creates a "need" to sell to underage people by dealers, in order to move their product, and make money.

Does it happen with alcohol? You bet your ass. When I was 21 I use to buy for my 17 year old cousin all the time. But, where as at least it was ME introducing alcohol to my younger cousin, I'd say that's a huge step better than having him buy it in a park, running the risk of getting arrested, ripped off, or sold some shady shit by a potentially cloak and dagger dealer. The same dealer that one day will say, "I got no weed man...but I got something better....."

Back to the safe place argument. I think the ability to smoke it legally, and have actual cafe's and hangouts to go smoke in, more than overrites a little bit of taxation they do on it.

Lets say the OP's friends theory is true. Lets say it IS more expensive to buy when it's government regulated.

Lets say I'm buying an ounce for 60, and after legalization I'm paying 80 for that same ounce. Well that sucks....that I'm paying a bit more....

But here's what I pay if I get caught doing it illegal.

1) Jail
    2) Fines
    3) Possible loss of employment
    4) Can no longer get certain jobs ever again.
    5) You can be denied apartments, loans, you name it, with a possession charge.
    6) Public humiliation
    7) Shunned by family
    8) Most likely, mandatory rehab.....for just smoking a joint???
    9) Girlfriend leaves you while you're in prison.
    10) Ass-rape. Either literally, or figuratively, when you're known forever as "A druggy"

In the long run, if you never ever got caught, and smoked it like you were batman in the dark of night....you might...MIGHT save a few dollars. Even that is arguable, and unlikely.

Get busted once at the wong point in you're life....and tell me when you get out of jail if you should have voted "NO" on Prop 19.

Edit: And Frankly, if the counties use that tax money to fund schools, community programs, law enforcement, environmental strategies, whatever.....IF you were paying extra money at least it is going to relatively decent causes. Buying it illegally all you're doing is helping some dude get fatter rims for his ride...

The "I don't want to pay more" attitude is selfish. It says, "I have what I want, fuck everyone else".

19. #19 Trueblade, Nov 5, 2010
    I got kicked out of my debate class once :) No, not just for the hour. They actually forced me to drop the class.

This was back in 1997, arguing the same argument we're arguing today.

Well back then it was in favor of Medical Marijuana. I was advised that the subject was not "appropriate for a high school environment."

The remark I made that got me kicked out was, "If it's not appropriate for the main people who deal with this drug on a daily basis......who the fuck is it appropriate for?"

Never did get an answer :p

20. ok... this is far too much exaggeration to be left alone.

... yeah... right... all ten of those things happen to most people who buy an ounce of weed.

#1: the vast majority of people who buy an ounce of weed do not get caught

#2: of those who do get caught with an ounce of weed - they can expect... like, those first 1 or 2 items on your list. Additionally, in most states an ounce or less is a misdemeanor and not a felony.

At least keep it real, man - the dramatic hyperbole is unnecessary and detracts from the issue at large, and from your otherwise reasonable points.