What motivates you?

Discussion in 'General' started by Nerd139, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Herzberg concluded that pay was not a motivator. What motivates you to work hard or not to work hard in school and on the job? How important is self-motivation as opposed to external reward?

2. Motivation for me is receiving the rewards I deserve.

3. Same here, but as far work goes my reward is pay. How much i stand to make is a big motivator for me, but I want to see what other people think to this question I was asked.

4. I'm more a fan of Maslow's theory compared to Herzberg's, but I'd say money (from a decent lifestyle onwards) and showing people how they underestimated me.

Money is only so long a motivator for me as long as there is no secured living provided, afterwards money steps down and other things overtake, like enjoying my life etc.

5. I see what you mean. Even if a job is fun I wouldnt be motivated to get up and do it every day if the pay was not good. I can handle some needs not being fulfilled at work. As far as Herzberg theory is concerned the hygiene factors of a job take precedence over his so called motivators. Even if I work at a job for 20 years if my pay is reduced I am not going to want to work as hard, but apparently some don't find pay to be that much of a motivator. It's more a satisfying factor. Maslow's hierarchy of needs determines what kind of job field I would look for, but they're not necessarily job motivating. I'm not going to want to work harder just because I feel safe at work.

6. When I took psych the textbook and my professor said money was not only indeed a motivator but THE biggest motivator.. Which I have found to be true in my life. Is this maslow's theory?

On Sundays I make overtime pay, and when I'm making 1.5x more than I usually make, I work much harder. Simply because I'm happy to be making more money and value those hours more.

But I bet once you get into higher income brackets, it's much different, i.e. someone who makes 90k a year would not take a new job for 100k at the expense of the new job being much less enjoyable.

7. Vagina and happiness

8. Dreams.

9. #9 Tomason, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
    I wish I still had that grapic where US citizens earning high figures (as mentionoed by you) weren't more or less happy when they got more money. Its true at some time (whatever one feels is enough) money looses its motivating effects and other things are more accepted, like company toys, more responsability or stocks or some other fancy shizzle :smoking:

[​IMG]

A big bag of weed on a rope with a stick in front of me would motivate the shit out of me though

10. Right now, jack shit. I'm working towards my lay off in a few days. The company i work for can kiss my ass. Gonna get a 1a license for shits and giggles, then me and a buddy are gonna hit the rigs for a while.

After that, :hello: west coast here I come.

My motivation to work before, was all because of the money and the fact my job was kick ass.

11. Family, if I fail in life they will suffer.

12. Yeah you right :smoking: Makes me think how needy we humans are. One we fulfill one we need we are always searching for something us to fill our lives with no matter how trivial. Sometimes people fill their lives with the little things first instead of the things that really matter. Check this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpau5YXk46Y]Keep Priorities Straight - A Jar of Life - YouTube[/ame]

13. All I do is just tell folks what I have found at PubMed and elsewhere! Cannabis is the miracle!

14. My will to do what i want and live a life the way i want to

15. Ha, I like the video, a lot.

But yeah, most people, especially in western countries are egoistic. It's kind off human, but people like Granny who give more than they take (as far as I've seen here lol), are the ones that make a difference. People tend to forget how unimportant all our materalistic things are because we kind off grow up with it nowadays. It is, when people really have everything (moneywise), when they start to realize they are not still not happy.

Money can help you be a happy person, but money alone will make noone happy.

Thats my personal theory why a lot of celebs die after having problems with hard drugs. They give up everything, basically they not longer have a life, but a lot of money, when they realize they still are unfullfilled.

Sadly, even on this stoner board most people will still take money over everything and this already a counter culture board. Just think about how much more think like that, living the every day life. Sad shit.

16. Well yeah I was saying the herb is the miracle, but your lists help me get information when I need it so iw as aying you do your part. Do you post on any other forums?

Money for me is only something I want to be able to live happily and comfortable. i have never wanted a lot and if I ever do have a lot I will probably give most of it away. I just want enough to live off of. I'm not much for material things.

17. I am motivated by a sense of value. Something that will yield good results for me doesn't necessarily translate to me working harder. I do things for the satisfaction that I am happy and other people appreciate my efforts.