What motivates human (in)action most?

Discussion in 'General' started by bkadoctaj, Jun 7, 2008.

1. This is a poll, so please bear with me. :)

EDIT: Thanks to everyone who has borne with me. :p

2. i would say need and desire, but neither are there. i voted love. the love for the end product.

3. i'd say fear.

people will both do and "not do" things that are out of the ordinary (and extraordinary at times).....

4. I think respect and lack there fore of respect motivates the most human actions.

5. Fear as its in our nature when either confronted or backed into a corner to either fight or flee.

thats motivation.

i'll get back to this thread & put an example in, gotta go now so talk to you later.

peace..................

6. I'd have to say fear. Fear drives us to do whatever we can to avoid conflict. Loneliness, Death, etc. When we're feeling lonely we talk to people, if we were not afraid of loneliness, we wouldn't talk to anyone, right? We wouldn't care. If we weren't afraid of starvation, would we get a job (or hunt for food) to earn money to pay for the food we eat? I doubt it.

Meh, I fail at explaining my position on that very well. :hide:

7. Arn't fear and God the same thing? :p

Anyway, I voted for fear; although I believe greed is a bigger motivater, perhaps that should have been included.

8. Greed, hmm.. fear of not having anything at all? Maybe it's the fear of losing that makes people greedy. eh

9. fear for sure.

10. I didn't vote fear because I view fear as a type of respect, I think that the positive and negative forms of respect go farther than any other type of human interaction.

11. I voted natural forse cuz am a natural.

12. I picked love, bc dopamine is associated with it the most...you will always do what you would rather do than not do

13. Something unexplainable. I would say all of the things you have listed put together, aside from the ego part. If that makes sense. They all could be tied in which one another.

14. I beg to differ, there are many situations whereby people do things less enjoyable than another option; for example I may have to complete a piece of work which wouldn't be fun atall or I could go out with friends and smoke some of that sweet sweet dopamine :p but I choose to do the work.

Thinking about it, people have different motivators.

15. the instinct of self preservation if ya get right down to it, but thats not up there so im voting love just cause

16. Fear hands down.

17. its not possible to not be afraid of starvation but know that its not the right way to go? starvation=death. thats all it takes. and please dont tell me everyone is afraid of death. especially tribal cultures. there are cultures that celebrate deaths.

18. Ego. Each person has a different personality and different traits, so in different situations people act upon their own volition. Situations dictate eventual circumstances, giving each person the power to attack said situation in a different manner. It is part of our ego...our brains tell us what we have the ability to accomplish, but it also gives us the opportunity to act even when we are not so fortunate.

It is like jumping off a cliff, nosediving straight into water. Everyone can do it, but not everbody does. Only those who KNOW they can do it.

19. Self interest.

20. Ooh, I like that one.