Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What makes weed purple?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by HighCorina, Jul 7, 2009.

1. So a question came to me the other day as I was smoking some purps, "What makes weed purple anyway?" I asked my sister and she said it was some form of mold. Im curious to know. Does it being purple make a difference in potency?

2. I'm pretty sure its just genetics

3. some strains, its genetics. But it is also possible to change the temperature(indoor grow) near the end of the grow and it will cause color changes.

4. genetics for the natural pigmentation of the buds, i think the buds have less chlorophyll but i'm not sure. Kind of like how other plants turn colors like the japanese maple turns a purplish/red. Also sometimes cold temperatures make the buds change color, i think due to frost damage but i'm not sure.

5. Yes alot of outdoor around here gets left out too long (Canada) and it gets frosted. It can cause purple rings around fan leaves and a solid purple color to the buds. It also increases the chance for mold if harvested right after since it retains alot of the moisture and if it isn't hung/dried quick enough..

6. this. even in outdoor grows if it gets cold it can cause purple buds

7. Prolly too much oxygen. Kind of like when you cut of oxygen from a human their face turns purple (strangulation), though opposite because they live off of CO2

8. wtf? Do people even think before they throw guesses out these days?

Some of it has to do with genetics.

When a plant gets below a certain temp it will turn purple as well.

-C

9. genes, temperature, and location

10. It having an indica background / being grown in coldish temperatures.

11. Ya frost can change the color of the buds to purple. I have heard stories of growers harvesting a bit early and putting the buds in a freezer to turn them purple before they are cured.

12. Thanks for all your helpful answers guys, does the purple have any affect on potency?

13. no, it doesnt affect potency

14. It's from when people strangle their plants... :rolleyes:

15. I'm sure its just genetics as others said. I'm guessing growing conditions may also have an effect on it as well.

16. It doesnt necessarily affect potency. But I would think that if you did not mess with the environment and it changed colors on its own, then its gonna be rather potent. But I dont think its make much of a difference. But I'm just saying it will probably be more potent than a sister that stays green...

17. The same compound that gives blueberries their color, i believe, i read that somewhere, can't find the source sorry :eek:

18. hence the reason beasters is notoriously known for having an odd purple tint, and frostbite cause headaches, another characetistic of beaster.

19. THCbandito, I believe you are talking about chlorophyl(sp?). Its the same chemical, it just creates a different pigment in light for a reason I cannot remember.

20. I read somewhere that indicas tend to turn purple in cooler climates. I know for a fact that mj plants turns yellow (by decreasing the amount of clorophyle) to protect themself from the sun, so it makes sense that it moves towards the other side of the color-spectrum when in cold weather.