What makes 'Cali weed'

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by wEEDhEAD1, Oct 26, 2018.

1. cali weed is the thing right now, it's all over, best bud I've seen. Funky names, unbelievable flavours, frosty like no other!

It's easy to tell what's been imported and who's tried to grow these strains over here.
    Is it because it's grown outdoors? Because surely if ts been grown indoors then it could be copied and grown anywhere..

What I grow doesn't even appear on the same spectrum as some of the bud I've had recently.

Also it's ridiculously expensive over here, double the price of normal weed.
    How much does it go for over there? Like a medical strain like gorrla glue or sky walker og, how much would a ounce be? How much would a pound be?

Does the stuff we see imported over here come from the same licenced growers that supply the shops or would it come from underground sources. is there even a difference in quality or is it all just addded regulations that government puts on?

Just curious...

2. It probably means CA grown. Lots of indoor and outdoor here.

I'm sure it's just being used as a marketing/sales tactic. We have dank ass buds here, but so do many other places.

Maybe it's club weed? I can get an eighth of Gg4 for $25

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amazing buds out here in Cali you can get an OZ from $200-300.

It was cheaper when we were just medicinal but since the recreational thing took effect this year, prices are getting uppity again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Good soil and good weather probably are to blame. Cali is also famous for its wine.

5. it should, set your sites higher.!!
    if u want great buds good grow conditions r a must.!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yeah its the water shortage higher tax's and even the C02 in the air that gives Cali weed that extra buzz

because its not the local grow-skills or soil quality or rolling fog up north that does the weed any good rep

I do know tho it is the local consumers who will pay 4x times as much for my euro crap than what I get at home

go figure

7. yes and yes.! LOL
    licensed growers sell to dispensaries 1st, anything that gets turned down is exported out of Cali,
    and the underground sources as well.

the very best, 'top quality' is kept in Cali, we get the next best, and next, and next, and next.....
    this is a huge reason that i grow illegally, my product is better then everyone's.!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. It's not just like compared to mine. Compared to uk weed! Over here when you buy weed yor told if it's 'cali'. An 8th will normally cost £30. And 8th of any Cali strain £50-£80. And good luck finding it cheaper in bigger quantities. It's hard to get and price is just normally multiplied lol.

It's like alien when compared lol

• Like Like x 2
  9. I was born and raised in California but abandoned the states in 1991. I can't say much to all the new types of weed or indoor growing over there but back in the 70's, we were growing some of the best weed on earth outdoors. Only Hawaii could match our weed.

(I say "our" because my buddies and I also grew some awesome "sinsemilla")

When everyone else was smoking Mexican brick weed, we were smoking "da kine."

I'm sure it has something to do with the soil and other environmental factors but all that hype and high prices are a bit ridiculous in my book. Of course any type of import is gonna be more expensive.

I mean, the buds I grow at home may not be of Big Sur Holy weed quality but do the job nonetheless...

Growpa*

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Im uk based but i wont pay 50-60 @8th im in the south it was high but prices gone down to normal 30 @8th

Sent from my LG-M160 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. if u r growing inside and can get good genetics then u should have "Cali" quality weed jarred up.!!
    no, soil and environment and light source does not have 'something' to do with it,
    it has everything to do with it, 100%, and indoors we can give them what they want.!!

12. California was also kind of the pioneer state for medical marijuana. There have been a lot of people growing there legally for a long time.

13. *genetics too*

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Cali weed is non-binary post modern weed.

Tune in, man.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I can't imagine an experienced grower not being able to grow quality weed that matches the so-called "Cali weed" indoors.

Outdoors is another matter. Some parts of our planet have better (fertil) soil and other environmental conditions to grow strains that simply cannot be grown elsewhere.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. It's not so much the soil as it is the light intensity. Most facilities grow in pots/buckets with their grow media brought in from outside sources. Typically people dial their indoor facilities to a PPFD of roughly 900 micromoles per m^2 per second where PPFD in Central/Southern California greenhouses can exceed 1700-1800 micromoles per m^2 per second. That increased light intensity leads to the plants being able to be fed a much stronger nutrient solution much more frequently.

• Like Like x 1
  17. This is confusing

18. Light be more stronger in Cali yo. Stronger light means plants eat more..... ‍♂️

• Like Like x 2