What Makes A Hero?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by NorseMythology, Feb 1, 2016.

1. I know it's a tall order, but let's try to keep it civil, even in disagreement.

2. good bread, and high quality meats and condiments.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Well...

He's gotta be strong
    And he's gotta be fast
    And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
    [SUB][/SUB]<sup></sup><del></del>

• Like Like x 1
  4. The only thing that makes a 'hero' is being at the right place at the wrong time.

5. depends what you say a hero is, could really just be someone who does a very good deed, id say all people who give significant parts of their income to charity could be classed as heros, putting others before themselves

6. Giving some of your income to those who have less is indeed honorable, but is it heroic?

7. lmao... hero, grinder, sub... we go by many names.
    🐜

8. giving something significant out of it i would say certainly would be heroic

9. Maybe I should have been more specific.

I'm curious how we would define hero.

Acting in a manner that could be detrimental to oneself for the benefit of another?

Putting your life at risk to save another?
    Generous at honorable yes, but why heroic? What is the distinction if any? Thanks!

10. heroic could be anything that would put yourself before others id say

11. Put others before yourself I believe you mean?

12. yeah, i fucked it up lol

13. I'd look at who is calling the hero a hero, and why. For instance colonists like Paul Revere would certainly have been hailed as heroes by their fellow colonists but damned as villains by the British. To me a hero is anyone who does something of importance to someone in that persons time of need. An example of that would be recently when 2 friends and myself were stuck in the mud at a deserted cemetery at night. The situation was precarious at best, however we quickly phoned a friend who left his girlfriend and get us a tow. That friend I would say acted heroically, because he not have to help us but he did, and not only did he but he did so immediately.

14. Smoking pot makes me a hero. You know... I just helped a tiny ant. His name's Tommy. He got lost. So proud man..

• Like Like x 1
  15. it might seem out there but in my opinion , a hero is someone be it male or female who has a good moral grounding and makes even just a second of the time the human race is around less shitty

For example

The guy at my local coffe shop who is there almost every morning

Who has the moral standing to get up go to work and even though he doesn't know it , at 7AM in the morning he is my hero because he makes me feel appreciative that something as simple but as complex as a cup of coffee seem amazing

• Like Like x 1
  16. Depend on who's doing the calling.

To further this point, a simple act can be seen as heroic to someone and just a nice thing to someone else.

Example:
    A homeless man on the verge of suicide sits on the edge of a bridge, ready to jump.
    You see him. You ask him "are you ok?"
    Seems the right thing to ask. To you a no brainer.
    But to that man, just having someone show concern for his wellbeing changes his decision to jump.
    To that man, you may be a hero.

17. A hero to me is anyone who sacrifices something for the benefit of someone else.

Even giving a hungry child you don't know food, makes one a hero.

It is not quantifiable.

-Yuri

• Like Like x 1
  18. someone who the people need when they call for assistance in a time of crisis.

19. It's an ethical debate. Critical thinking is a highly psychopathic trait.

Say you're hiding in a basement with five other people and your baby. There are enemy soldiers with orders to kill everyone in your village searching the house above. Your baby cries loudly so you cover his mouth the block the sound. If you smother your baby to death, you will save five lives (including your own). If you don't, the soldiers will kill everyone, including you and your baby.

If you kill your baby, are you a hero? You saved four other lives so why not?

20. We could go through endless scenarios and answer them one by one, maybe a hero has no definitive definition?

To answer your question though, no, in my opinion that is not a hero. Murdering an innocent being to save other innocent beings...