What Makes A Friend?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by THEeric, Sep 2, 2014.

1. What makes a friend?  

2. a friend with weed is a friend indeed.

3. Fidelity, sincerity, genuity, etc.,

4. depends on your perspective of what a friend is to you. 

5. a friend will come and bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, 'damn that was fun!'

says it in a picture hanging above one of my shitters....

6. A friend is someone who will sacrifice for your benefit.

I think that's the defining factor. The difference between a friend and a playmate is one just wants to hang, the other will go out of his way to give you a ride if your tire is flat

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Does anyone else sort of keep track of (for lack of a better expression) good deeds that you and your 'friends' do for one another?  IE who's turn it is to drive.  Or if you've recently done favor(s) for your 'friend' do you keep that in mind until they return a favor for you?  Is this necessary in a real 'friendship'?  

How much do you have to have in common with someone to call them a 'friend'?  If someone is nice and always tries to do the right thing and be respectful etc. but likes different things, can the 'friendship' work?

How much does laughing together help?  Can you be 'friends' with someone with whom you have nothing else in common solely because you laugh well together?  Is a person more likeable when they show willingness to laugh at themselves?  

Are there any habits that would automatically disqualify a potential 'friend'?  

8. A friend is someone who it doesn't matter whose turn it is for something.

Your friend can have nothing in common at all.

Laughing is a strong bonding tool.

Stealing, lieing too often, testy.

9. The better the comfort level the better the friends.

10. In Australia, a friend is anyone who you can use "cunt" as a term of endearment for.

11. Someone that shares similar interests as you, genuine, loyal, and all that other good shit

JESUS GOT SHOT IN THE FACE

12. A return on the investment.

13. #14 jayfoxpox, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fkm9kvblME
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys0K_IwIIaU

14. Remember theres a difference between a friend and someone that just enjoys being around you. In my opinion a good friend is family, you treat them no different, and they should treat you good too. Life's too short to bring yourself bad company.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. I have always looked at the relationship between man and dog. If you scold a dog and beat it, it will lower it's ears, run and hide. 5 minutes later you call his name in a cheery voice and that dog comes running tail wagging and kisses galore. All is forgiven and forgotten.

Can you say the same for humans?

16. Yeah but my dog will lick my nasty ass feet and I don't expect my buddies to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The way I see a lot of people treating 'their' dogs, I don't think I'd like a friend like that...  :(

18. Not the way humans treat dogs. The way dogs treat humans. That is a real friend.

19. #20 Infinite Experience, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014
    Yup that's true, unconditional love. A friend to me is someone who likes you for you, not materialistic things, but mostly a friend to me is a person who gives another person's life meaning, a reason to get out of bed in the morning, to take care of yourself and so on.