What made you who you are today?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Socotra, Feb 21, 2010.

1. What events have changed your life and formed your current ideals?

I grew up without a dad.

This girl I considered myself in love with started being regular fuck buddies with my best friend of five years who also lives with me.(apparently theyre basically unofficially dating) This was not even 2 weeks after we split, and we were dating, seriously might I add, for about a year or two.
    I mean shit, all in all, its not so bad... But Heres how I feel about life right now:

It changes,
    Bitches aint shit,
    TRUST NO ONE BUT YOURSELF
    Life is full of obstacles, but once you get over one, youre conditioned for the next, bigger one.
    All of this shit has made me into a person that another situation like this cant pull down again. Every hardship in life strengthens you. Pain is a lot like water, and were a lot like canyons. It carves us into the people we are.

2. amen to that brother.

3. my dad railing the shit out of my mom.

4. fuckin got shut down by so many girls in elementary school. then goin into 6th grade my parents divorced n my best friend moved.
    after that my self confidence fuckin just dropped, its gettin back up though.
    other than that i dont really know what made me who i am, just a bunch of little random things

5. I am an opiate addict in recovery atm. I guess thats a big one because its something I never thought I could stop and here I am typing about how I quit.

Also I joined the military. USAF to be exact. I want to do great things and I felt the Air Force is giving me the best option for it atm.

I also have a college degree. Shit was hard to get but when I got it I never felt prouder. That is until I graduate boot camp :D

6. Dad passed away when I was a kid. That's the one true moment that shaped me as a person.

7. Yeah, losing my dad dint change my life in that even particularly.
    It was growing up from 3 to now without a dad that shaped me.
    And the fucked up thing is that my best friend whos sleeping with the girl Im still pretty heartbroken, He kinda took the place of a dad sometimes....Hes older than me.
    So I guess the only real father figure I've had in my life is romantically involved with that girl my heart wont forget or reject.
    It sucks but in the long run....yeah its still gonna suck.

8. It was the pain.

You know, sometimes I actually wonder this: If we didn't go through what we went through, would be indeed be the same person?

Obviously not.

I always wonder what kind of person I would be, Where I'd be living, would I have kids? A wife? A great job? Money? I mean, so many different possibilities.

Fucking deep, man...

9. definitely getting curious and going to this random ass punk club when i was 12. next thing you know i was just another angry 14 year old gutter punk. a decade later i moved out of hawaii and hopped my first freight train and never stopped loving the most simple, care free lifestyle i can.

10. Psychedelics. I'm a completely better person since I started getting into 'em.

11. sports ganja, some allotta hardships and a great fuck buddy

12. My parent's divorce. My mom left when I was 15 and I had just finished freshman year. The time when I really needed their support and they were both only focused on "who hurt who" and "who I was going to side with." It was by far the worst year of my life and definitely shaped who I became.

13. My brother. Although my parents would good providers, and cultured me well (took me travelling a lot), 95% of the time my brother did way more parenting than mom and dad combined.

14. Friends Family and Loved ones. (kinda broad haha)

I think the biggest things in my life would have to be:

my family has always been there for me. My family has always been close to each other and value spending time together (which includes relatives)

my dad was never home because he has always worked 5-6 jobs at the same time to provide for us. I think because of this it has made me realize i dont want his life. I respect and appreciate everything he has done for me and my family but as a kid he was never around. Theres no way i could do that to my kids. it was only after my mom passed away that i got to know him which is too bad

and my mom passing away unexpectedly my senior year of highschool. that was a big hit. May 5th to be exact which is coming up. This kinda thing i think would change anyone in some kind of way. i was alot closer to her than to my dad and yet i never really knew her. i think this event has brought my immediate family closer which is good but it also helped me grow up faster and obviously it makes you think about your own mortality.

Who am I? I believe in taking care of others before myself regardless of what itll do to me. I believe in Karma and the simple things in life. I also believe that you should always keep your friends and family close (i consider loved ones such as GFs to be family) I dont care about material possessions or making alot of money. Id much rather do something i love than make lots of money.

15. Discovering Mahayana Buddhism and realizing the source of our suffering is our mind.

16. My first few times smoking changed me for he better. I now think with a much more open mind. Also I am better understAnding and respecting of religion, psychedelics, drug cultures, and much more. I am also faced with less fear in my actions

17. #18 verbae, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    The unconditional love of my family.
    The betrayal of false friends.
    The love and patience given/shown to me by my true friends.
    My thirst for knowledge.
    My skepticism.
    Dance.
    Music.
    Art.
    &&Drugs.

EDIT: Oh, and love. Mm. I can't forget to credit that special one I let go, so long ago..

18. I don't think it's necessarily one or two things that can affect how one turns out to be the person they are today, but rather many positive and negative outcomes that mold you into the person you are today. Sure, one life decision can cause a rather negative or completely positive outcome in your life, but i believe that all of the good and bad that happen in our lives determines how we act and perceive world as it is today. It's one's life decisions as a total that defines who we are today. I believe the world is in our hands, and it's what we make of it that determines the people we become; whether good or bad. Everyone goes through low and high points throughout their lives, and consequently changes us for the good or bad. Life is what you make it. Sure, a divorce or death in the family (one of many reasons) could sway one from something they were determined to become later on in life, but it's how you choose to handle those situations that ultimately make you who you are today.

It's never too late to change that. Life gives us so many opportunitys, and we are only human to slip once in awhile, but you have to pick yourself back up and realize that it's not the end. There's so much more out there to be discovered that can influence your life for the better. If you have regrets, it's only going to hold you down. You have to move on with life whether you like it or not. Just my 2 cents. I hope i influenced those that read this in a positive matter.

-peace, love, optimism

19. #20 E n i g m a, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2010
    Budweiser American Lager
    Please drink responsibly.

If not for that I wouldn't have been born. ;)
    jk