what lights do i need to grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by john redcorn, Jan 23, 2012.

1. so iv been doing research for a while now and i need to know what range of lights or what wattage of lights is needed for vegging and flowering. and advice would be helpful.

2. As for color spectrum, you want 6500K (blue) for vegging and 2700K (red) for flowering. If you use flourescent strips or CFL's, they're also called 'cool white' for the 6500K and 'warm white' for 2700K.

You can also mix spectrums. There's lots of debate on whether or not it matters, but it's up to you. You just need to make sure you have mostly blue spectrum during veg, and mostly red spectrum in flowering. I think I read that blue light promotes foliar (leaf) growth more, and red light promotes stem growth.

As for how much wattage you'll need, we need to know how many plants you want, where you'll be growing (in a cabinet, tent, open room or closet, etc), how much space you have, what kinda of bulbs you want to use, and how much you want to spend. If you don't want to spend much I'd recommend you go with CFL.