what light to veg under?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by burped, May 15, 2011.

1. I'm going to buy a SIX HUNDRED WATT for flowering, but what light do I buy for vegging and at the very beginging after the seed germinates

2. The 600 will work great for veg. You can veg with MH or HPS. Can only flower under HPS. As for germinating it might be a bit bright. I do use a 400 for germination I just keep it far away. Like 2ft or more. 600 should be fine if you do the same.

3. actually, you can do a start to finish with either, but a hps is better for flower, and a mh is best for veg. some use a combo of both...

4. I hope you mean a 600 watt hps for flowering. If so then thats great. i would get a 400 watt mh for veg

5. Yes I mean HPS

6. dunno what ur using for a light but im using a metal halide light for everything from vegetation to flowering itll work for what u want. if u growing for staight pfrofit then ur losing out by not using a hps but if u only growing for fun or an experiment it doesnt matter have funa and gl. follow me if u ising only a mh light im doing the same!!!

7. A cheap and very efficient light for vegging is a t5.very low heat so you don't have to worry about ventilation and you can put the light right on top of the plant. MH works well for vegging but produces more heat and uses more electricity.

8. How did this thread get so far without anyone asking -- how many plants? What size space? Yes MH is better for vegging, but what kind of lamp to get, wattage, etc all depend on the details.

9. he only asked about light type. mh/hps, don't matter how or what he's growing. it's gonna be one or the other or both, lol...

10. If it's only one or two plants, CFLs are probably the most efficient for veg, taking cost into account. Any more and MH is really the only way to go