What light for my new 4x2x6 tent?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Good2bu, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Got a 4x2x6 arriving in the mail today. Going to be a flower only tent. What would be the best light for this tent?

Budget around $400-500

The tent will be in a garage so heat is an issue.

Thanks.

2. What are your temps in your area, that will make a big difference. Sounds like you're in a milder climate? If so id go with some leds. If you can wait i'd get two quantum boards, 1 3k and 1 4k from here (when they come back in stock) https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/diy/products/qb120-quantum-board and get this driver https://www.arrow.com/en/products/ndr-120-48/mean-well-enterprises

That will be more than plenty for that tent. Once they get unstuck im getting two to throw in my 32x32 tent. I have 2 600w mars hydro lights in there now and im happy with it, but really want to try out those quantum boards, theres a lot of guys ranting and raving about them on here.

For your price range id go with 2 300 or 2 600 mars hydro lights if you dont go the quantum route. There are other cheap LEDs that are decent, i just dont have any experience with anything else

3. Also keep in mind that the tent temps will probably be 10 degrees higher than outside the tent. So if you're in a warm climate, you might need AC to keep it cool

4. #4 Good2bu, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    I’m in the south. One of the biggest states in the US

I have grown for a year. I can’t grow June-September because temps in garage are too high 90F+ The rest of the months the garage stays from 62-85 F.

What are you pulling with your mars hydro?

5. i wouldn't recommend a mars hydro. quantum boards or similar PCB or COB leds will provide the most lumens for the least wattage and thus producing the least heat. quantum boards are excellent for the price but you could also get PCBs with the same diodes for cheaper from other manufacturers in china or i know someone selling strips with LM561C diodes from USA.. DIY is your cheapest option and they are extremely easy to put together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1

6. The 3000k would be fine for flower only?

7. Yes 3k is the recommended flower spectrum. I run a 3500k and a 3k in my 4x4 flower tent.

8. They also sell a 2700k though I haven't seen one and that would be good for flower as well. I think id rather have 3k or 3500.

9. i believe i have 4x 4k qb304 in my flower tent @ 1400ma (~695w) and it's working well

10. you could also order from HLGs chinese manufacturer... they won't sell quantum boards due to contracts etc but they produce their own PCB designs with the same diodes

• Like Like x 1
  11. I just linked the prebuilt click the button fixtures but you can of course DIY. A DIY 4 board qb120 fixture can be built for a little over $200 if you're interested in saving some money. If you want to slow boat some strips from China to DIY it's going to be more hit and miss. You'll have to figure out the power requirements, wiring, ect. It's not hard if you're up for it and a Chinese strip diy led would push the price down further.

I've been told that the 4 packs of 3k qb120 boards should be coming back in stock on amazon soon. If heat is a major concern I do feel that a 4 board qb120 light would probably put out less heat then a qb260xl. That is a pretty cool running light though. I have the standard 260's with the smaller heatsink and my tent has been 79 degrees with two of them running full power. I have a 6" clip on fan blowing on the heatsinks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. IVe been growing in a much smaller tent with a cheap Chinese LED. Only pulling 4 zips from a 2x2. What could I expect from the 4x2 and HLG 260W XL QB?

13. Probably over a pound if you grow with skill. I got 2 pounds from two lights and an area twice the size of yours.

• Like Like x 1
  14. i'd imagine you could get 1g per watt easily, if you're a skilled grower with your environment dialed in maybe 1.5+ GPW. i know people who are getting over 4 GPW with LEDs

• Like Like x 1
  15. 2g/watt is about as high as I've seen but I'm sure you can push it higher. I'm going for 1.5g/watt. There is the consideration of your size area. You can really only fit so many buds in a 2x4. A pound would be pushing it.

Getting 1-1.5g/watt seems fairly common with skilled growers and quantum boards.

• Like Like x 1
  16. A pound from 260W seems nuts. I think I’m gonna go with the HLG 260W XL. Thanks for all your help

17. well the 260w can go to up to 285w it says so it's only just above 1.5gpw for a pound. definitely strain dependent too though. i think my friends almost pushing 5 GPW but he is definitely unique and has developed some type of system or made some breakthrough which he is not sharing. i think he's also using high end phillips LEDs or commercial LEDs i'm going to go back and check

• Like Like x 1