What kind of soil should i use?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Kalec, Feb 26, 2009.

1. I just checked on my plant and it just sprouted. It's just a bag seed that i want to experiment with before i buy real seeds. I'm going to transplant it to a bigger pot soon because the one i have now is pretty small. So what size pot should i get and what kind of soil should i use? Also now that i think about i've never transplanted a plant before do i take the whole plant with the old soil in put it in the new pot with the new soil?

2. You want an organic soil, a lot of people (me included) use Fox Farms Ocean Forest. You dont want anything that has time release ferts, or really any added ferts. Its better if you can add them yourself and keep control of what your plant gets.

"General" rule of thumb is you want 1 gallon pot for every foot you plan on growing your plant. I use minimum 3 gallon for final pot... but prefer 5 gallon.

And yes the old soil goes with the plant into the new soil.

Best way is to start by putting soil in the bottom of new pot
    Place old pot(with plant) in new pot and adjust soil to proper finish height and recheck
    I then lightly water that first layer of soil to get it moist
    Place old pot in new again and place soil around it
    Water that soil lightly and remove old pot
    Take your plant out of old pot and place in the nest you create, added soil as needed.

Now water your plant really well. Soak it. You want about 25% of water you put in to come out of drainage holes. I usually give it the first half, wait 15 minutes, and then the rest. This way you get no dry areas of soil.

3. #3 asscore, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
    You dont really want a soil at all, you want a soilless mix.

My absolute favorite is Fafard 3B mix. Ask anybody who works at a professional greenhouse, and they will tell you this is the best stuff on earth.

Fafard can be hard to get your hands on, as it is not usually sold at your average growshop. You can usually buy it at large greenhouses, and ag supply stores. I have also heard of it being sold at big box stores like home depot, although I have never seen this personally.

There are a few decent soilless mixes you can find at your average growshop. The most common is sunshine mix.

There are lots of other soiless mixes, however most of them are meant to be used as "light mix" and therefore are watered much more often. You dont really want this unless you are on a drip system. Examples of these would be fox farm light warrior, or botanicare readygro.

As far as pot sizes start in a small cup or whatever you have, then step up to a 300 when your container is well rooted, then a 600 or 800 right before you start flowering. Always use mycorrhizae when transplanting for fast rooting action!