What kind of reflector do I need for this grow tent setup?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Xhexk, Jun 30, 2012.

1. I'm stressing out and debating with myself what type of reflector to get for my grow setup.

I'll be using a 4x4x6.5 grow tent by secret jardin
    400 watt hps for flower and 6400k CFL for veg
    5" inline fan for exhaust while debating on passive air or another 5" for intake

Question: What reflector will I need for this set up? I've heard mixed opinions about venting hoods so I'm utterly confused. Will a normal winged reflector do or what? Any info is highly useful.

2. Might as well dish out the money and get an air cooled reflector cause heat will be an issue, sooo much easier to control temp when you have it vented. I personally chose the cool tube over the vented hood cause it was cheaper (still $60) but I did research before hand it figured out it really doesn't matter, both do justice, except the hood might reflect slightly better. But in a box that small you're fine.

I'm runnning a 600w hps, with a cool tube reflector, and my temps are 76 right now :)

Good luck!

:smoke:

3. Seriously get a vented hood or a cool tube. You can always make one but it is going to pay itself off either way and I like the premade ones. I have the same size tent with mh/HPS as well, have heat issues and I've played around with all the variables I can control. We have very similar setups. Don't make the same mistake I did. Get a vented hood or cool tube. I wish I had.

4. #4 Xhexk, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Guess I'll dash out a bit more money but it'll be worth it.

EDIT: Quick question popped to mind. If I did get a vented hood/cool tube, wouldn't that just cool the lights? what about ventilation for my plants or do I need separate fans for that as well?
    What do ya'll think of this deal? It's a shame it's in the US. Any ideas on how long shipping would take?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Virtual-S...Ballast-Kit-400-Watt-/310404956358#vi-content

5. even with your vented hood and no carbon filter, a booster fan is plenty enough, airflow take the path of least resistance