What kind of light is this?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by medicalbob, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Photo on 12-06-05 at 8.58 AM.jpg

what kind of light do I have here? It has 150 watts but I cant find what type of light it is. I know, major noobie.

Also, I have a 5x2x2.5 grow box. what is the max amount of plants I can have with this light and grow box size.

I grew once before with this equipment with an old roommate so I know a bit about taking care of my ladies but as far as equipment goes, Im a toad.

2. [quote name='"medicalbob"']

what kind of light do I have here? It has 150 watts but I cant find what type of light it is. I know, major noobie.

Also, I have a 5x2x2.5 grow box. what is the max amount of plants I can have with this light and grow box size.

I grew once before with this equipment with an old roommate so I know a bit about taking care of my ladies but as far as equipment goes, Im a toad.[/quote]

It either a high pressure sodium or a metal halide. You'll need a ballast to run that 1. If it gives a orange glow it's hps if it a bluey white glow it's a MH bro

3. ok thanks bud.
    It is a HPS then since it gives off that orange glow.
    It has a ballast too, in the box, to the right of the lamp

4. [quote name='"medicalbob"']ok thanks bud.
    It is a HPS then since it gives off that orange glow.
    It has a ballast too, in the box, to the right of the lamp[/quote]

No worrys man. Good little peice of kit for flowering. Specialy if its an enclosed (stealth) space. You'll get plenty of light (lumens) generated by that but only a little heat :)

5. -how many plants for a grow box that is 2 x 2.5 x 5? I am going to be growing BC Big Bud which can go up to 4ft in a indoor grow box i've heard.

-I am planning on also getting the Metal halide light for veg and germ.. will the ballast i have suffice?

-is 150w a good amount for my grow box size or should I upgrade to 175w or 250w?

If anyone with some experience can answer these questions and help me get started in preping for growing, it would be much appreciated.

6. #6 Vicarious87, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
    It is for sure a 150w HPS, and the ballast is that white box with wires, so you have everything. I would enclose the ballast in a plasic container or something moisture resistant. You can get replacement bulbs cheap at lowes/home depot or anywhere they sell security flood lights.

It deffinatley ISNT good for a grow cabinet or really small grow space. This thing with the wing reflector is going to throw off alot of dangerous heat. You need decent ventilation and circulation. its like an advanced food warmer bulb, it'll burn.

150w is sufficient for the first 4 weeks from seed. then you will want to go 250w for that small a space, look for a 4" cooltube (do they make those?) they have some 150w home-made hps cool-tube in GC DIY section.

7. I grew once already with this equipment but my roommate is the one that took care of the acquiring the equipment. I have it now and want to go for another grow.

For ventilation, we used 4 computer fans for our tent. 2 down low, 2 up top. Nothing burnt up with the 150w hps.

I never came across hearing the wings being dangerous for the tent though? Do you really think it can become a problem with a 250w hps bulb?

8. what kind of ventilation would be good for my small grow box (2x2.5x5)?
    Would a computer fan suffice? If so how many CFM?

I have been planning on using 400 watt MH for germ and veg and 250 watt HPS for flowering

9. If heat isnt an issue, the go for it man. I was just trying to visualize the grow space with the heat output. I personally would use what I have free to save money.

When the heat gets over 75 degrees you could use PC fans if you got 'em. If you need more then you can get an inline fan. A 4" 90-120cfm blower should be good for that small space.

10. yea Ill go with your advice. Ill just still with 150w hps throughout the whole cycle. I dont shit money, might as well go with what I got.

Thanks for the help bud.