what kind of light bulb to use?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by crazypbingman, Mar 18, 2009.

1. ok im a absolute beginner for indoor growing. i know you can use florecent, hps bulbs, and i think the other is mh. now im kind of confused about these different light bulbs. can i use a regular lightbulb for lamps? lol sorry if this is a lame question but it doesnt say what kind of bulb it is...just 75 Watts / 120 V.

2. Not enough light, too much heat. Start reading all these other posts that have already covered this... CFLs are the cheapest way to start.

3. You want CFL daylights for veg. 4 26w cfl daylight 6500k bulbs will grow 4 plants in veg. and then use cool white or regular cfls for flowering. basic rule 100W of light bulb power per plant is what they say. not the equivulant, but the actuallt wattage used. at least 100w.

4. also just to add, i just need a light for about a month until i can plant outdoors. im not sure when i can get a cfl bulb but will the light bulb i have atm work for the first weeks of veg?

5. #5 Toke-ter, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
    To answer your question:
    Incandescent bulbs are no good, this is probably the bulb you are using currently.

HID (High Intensity Discharge):

These lights produce the most heat of any lights.
    HPS (High Pressure Sodium):
    Best used for flowering stage of growth. These are HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights.
    Wattage Types: 100,250,400,600,1000 etc. are most common I believe.
    Found at: Shop hydroponic shops online.

MH (Metal Halide):
    Best used for vegetative stage of growth. These are also HID lights.
    Wattage Types: I believe are the same for HPS.
    Conversion
    They make conversion bulbs from HPS -> MH or MH -> HPS. The sodium bulbs that run on halide ballasts are more common.

CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light):

Becoming more popular.
    Requires special spectrum for different stages of growth.
    Spectrum: The temperature range of the bulb, labeled as K (Kelvin).
    Flowering Spectrum (K): 2700k
    Vegetative Spectrum (K): 6500k
    Wattage Types Needed: 26w (100w Equivalent) and up.
    Requires more bulbs (light) for growing as the lumen output is not high.
    Found at: Lowes / Home Depot

Fluorescent:

These come in a a wide variety of shapes and sizes.
    Common Types: T12(Fat bulbs), T8(Also fat bulbs I believe), T5(The really skinny bulbs)
    Same spectrum requirements as CFL bulbs.
    Wattage Types Recommended: 40w
    Also requires more bulbs (light) for growing as also with the CFL's, the lumen output is not high.
    Found at: Lowes / Home Depot

I hope this answer's your questions and then some. The rest is up to you.

6. thanks a lot for that post toke$ter! it was really useful :)

7. #7 SRHtoker570, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
    ya theyre is many ways you can go about your grow, you just need to figure out how you want to do it, you want to be "green" and use CFL's or The spiral funny lookin ones or do you want to go big time and use a HPS\MH (High Pressure Sodium, Metal Halide) Conversion type light, of course you cant just screw those HID's into a regular socket you will have to order one or find a shop near by that has one. People here will def. help you out but you gotta figure out what you CAN do and what really isnt so realistic (like growing 10 plants in a 4w x 6h x 4d closet isnt going to work after a while just bc they get very big (pending on strain you use) so figure out where, how many, and budget and get back to us 99% of people are willing to help :) peace SRH