What kind of chilli peppers are these?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Ẅest Čoast, Aug 15, 2012.

1. About 6 months ago I was given some extremely hot chili peppers by a friend. Even though they burned a hole in my stomach, I loved em. So I scooped some seeds from one of the chili peppers and planted them. Got two plants out of the 5 seeds I planted. I wanted to know more info on these peppers, so I called the friend that gave them to me, and of course he is clueless as to what they are.

Just want some info on these if anyone knows that they are. When would I harvest these?

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      243.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      257.9 KB
      Views:
  2. They look like habanerros

3. ^ I think not.

4. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKOc2S1AkjE]Red hot chili peppers - Under the bridge Live acoustic - YouTube[/ame]

5. Green ones

6. They definitely dont look like habaneros. Dont listen to that. They have the shape of jalapeños pepper, but have the color of a korean pepper. Im stumped.

7. maybe a Serrano Pepper?

how long are they? Do they stay green or change to red or orange?

8. Hungarian peppers

9. Chilean chili peppers

10. The peppers are about 2 - 2 1/2" when harvested. I remember them being red when I was munching on them. So I'm guessing they will turn red at some point.

11. That detail would have been kinda handy to mention when asking for identification lol. But who knows, too many varieties that it could be and I dont think we have any chili experts around.

But yeah, harvest them when they're red.

12. Still sounds like Serrano Peppers from the size, shape and color along with the intensity of the heat youve described. Of course I cannot be 100% certain on that but thats where my money lays :wave:

13. They do look like Serranos. And the visual guide posted above does show Serranos having 25,000 scoville heat units...those little bastards were pretty hot when I munched on them.