What it means for me to be a liberal

Discussion in 'Politics' started by WubbaLubbaDubDub, Dec 5, 2015.

1. I think it means liberty. Liberty to own guns, liberty to get married if you're gay. Liberty to say what you want when you want, liberty to get high. Liberty to ride in car without a seatbelt.

But you might say I'm a nationalist when I say all the money going to "wars" could be going to us, the people. And now big business controls our politics around the world.

I want schools to be efficient, cops to be efficient, and most of all I want people to have money to spend on our economy, not just billions a year to Saudi oil. We can all harness solar and wind power I believe

I guess that's all folks!

2. Same.

There's no reason you can't have individual liberty + taxation combined. George Washington himself knew that taxes were a necessary evil (hence, the Whiskey Rebellion.)

Also - Some people seem to think that if you're a liberal - you are opposed to gun ownership. That's certainly not the case with me. I don't want my life to depend on a mob of blue merry men to come and rescue me when things go ugly.

Anyway, I believe in individual liberty AND social welfare.

There is nothing wrong with a 10 year old girl wanting to make pocket money with a lemon stand:
    [​IMG]

On the other hand, there IS something deeply wrong about people living on the streets when there's rich folks owning private islands, beaches.. millions of acres of farm land.. etc.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/10/ca...

Land ownership will be the biggest political issue in the years to come. Not only are there going to be a lot of people on this planet - but there will be a lot of hungry people looking for a place to sleep at night, and if landlords keep increasing the cost of living, the working class will eventually take matters into their own hands and eat them for lunch. Nobody is going to tolerate giving up 80% or more of their wages to somebody who was lucky enough to be able to purchase or inherit property.

So yeah.. very heavy taxes on people who own looots of land.

3. Liberal essentially means change while conservative means tradition

That's why we have a ridiculous party system where you cannot be a leftist who supports gun rights

Our 2 party system encourages all.or nothing bullshit And inhibits progress
    -Yuri

4. Our 2 party system exploits the fact that Americans are lazy and unwilling to do their own research and discover that there are other parties and candidates to vote for. Fox news is bought by the Republicans, MSNBC the democrats. Most people just eat up whatever they're dishing out.

Democracy works when the people are self informed, engaged and in control.

Don't blame the system, blame the people allowing themselves to be exploited by the system.

5. Yea cause its not like there isn't more than 2 people you can vote for

O wait. Fail post.

Its not the people fault.

Would you blame a rape victim for being too weak? That's fucked up

-Yuri

6. How so?

-Yuri

7. I wouldnt mix the too. it is fucked up tht there are ppl suffering but it's not fucked up tht there are filthy rich ppl
    rich shouldnt be taxed higher than everyone else. money should just be managed better and spent on the people and their future
    in many cities it would be cheaper to give homeless ppl homes than to keep them on the streets. i wouldnt blame a landowner for tht

8. not to mention its relative.

Hypothetically if the populations doubled, you'd see the top. 5% own most the wealth instead of top 1%

Poor people populate faster than rich. True statistic.

That being said, there is only so much to go around.

If you want to help the poor, you need to also control their population.

-Yuri

9. Liberal in the political sense generally means support for a government with more regulatory power. This sounds bad at first, but it equates to more support for schools, infrastructure, etc, and programs that help people, like the ACA, medicaid (widely supported by both sides of the aisle), and welfare, as well as tax credits for families. A liberal government also equates to more regulation on anything from business practices to gun rights to drones. And yes, liberal governments are more willing to embrace change in a changing world.

Conservative means being against regulations in favor of personal freedom (less of big brother telling you what to do). This of course sounds great, but people unregulated tend to screw others over for their own benefit. The conservative philosophy says that if you're worthy of success, you will become successful on your own. This thinking favors those who already have the most success, basically deepening the divide between haves and have-nots. In a totally free world, the big guy will always win. This is the thinking that goes against social programs that help the public, as it is seen as taking from those who are successful and giving it to those who are not, who they believe to be of lower class and of less worth. A conservative government also generally equates to resistance to change. They don't want new immigrants, gay marriage, weed legalization, or equality for the lower class/ other races.

If you're the type of person who is rich and doesn't give a fuck about anyone else, you are a textbook conservative.

10. To me I have my own thoughts and beliefs. I know what i believe in and and don't give a fuck if its replublican or demococrat or liberal or whatetever. I don't care. I really don't anymore. I know anyone i meet is cool with me. you are all cool with me me. also anyone who shoots a gun around me is going to have to face me head on. AMERICA

11. Classical liberals are awesome, millennial liberals, not so much.

12. It means nothing. Literally nothing. "Liberal," "conservative" and so forth are just empty titles people use to describe the way they generally think most of the time. People should just abandon these useless, divisive labels and focus on what really matters--the issues.

Nationalism is the belief that one's own country, culture, et cetera are superior to others. You don't sound like a nationalist, maybe more of an isolationist democrat (not in the sense most people use, but rather in that you favor returning control to the people rather than corporations).

You sound to me like a libertarian...whatever that means.

13. http://www.politics1.com/p2016.htm

You want me to spoon feed your oatmeal for you? Have your mom cut up your waffles and pour maple syrup on it for you? Pfft. GTFO.

14. lol Wut?

Did you know the primaries are not an election and you have zero say over Bernie being nominated? Its not our choice

-Yuri

15. 💯

Attached Files:

16. What does Bernie Sanders have to do with different political parties? That's my point dude. Click on the link and scroll down to see the other political parties and the candidates running for them.

Want some more maple syrup on those waffles?

17. Dood. You don't even know what you are arguing now.

The point was the American people.literally have no say in who becomes our president.
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >
    Want some more maple syrup on those waffles?

</blockquote>Relevence?

-Yuri

18. And that's because...