PlayStation What is your preferred gaming headset / headphone ?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by WaxPayne, Dec 14, 2016.

1. #1 WaxPayne, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    As the topic suggests, what headset do you use for your ps4? Xbone and pc players feel free to give input too. Maybe you use Turtle Beach, maybe you use Astro. Maybe you use a dedicated pair of hi-fi studio quality headphones and a Blue Snowball mic. This isnt a debate thread so please dont try to argue with each other over whats better. Whats best for you is best for you. Just give input on performance, past experiences with different sets, suggestions, etc.

My experience with different sets :

I have been looking to replace my old shitty headset for quite some time now. Used to have the Ps4 standard head phone/mic combo that came with the system. That lasted a bit but eventually the cord started coming apart. It was kinda shitty. I was going to go witht the Wireless Gold PS4 headphones since they offer virtual 7.1, are wireless and are made specifically for PS4. But after seeing reviews of them breaking after 90 days or less, I backed out. So here are a couple headsets I have/ have had / are on the way for my PS4.

PDP LVL 1:
    Then I bought a cheap headset the PDP Afterglow LVL 1 found here. It was a quick and cheapest solution at the time. Its the cheapest offering from PDP but they do make good affordable sets as the A9+ is actually considered a good set. The LVL 1 however is bare minimum with really crap sound. I also wanted something with stereo speakers to get a little more immersed / not wake up my gf or my brother.

Kingston Hyperx Cloud II*:
    Found here After the LVL I wanted something with dual over ear speakers to cancel out noise while also allowing me to game at high volume without waking my room mates. So after searching a bunch I ended up getting some HyperX Cloud II headphones. These are revered as the best all around gaming headsets on the market. They are rebranded Taskar 80 headphones and are used the world over by many gamers. Check them out here. These headphone were the style I wanted. Also they were COMFY AS FUCK. Seriously they are comfortable as hell so if you want a all day pair then these are it. Also the sound quality was very good. Things were crisp and highs and mids came in very clearly. The only thing lacking was sufficient bass. It didnt do well handling explosions or anything like that. Playing Titanfall2 I liked that even though they were stereo speakers without virtual surrond, I could still here gunfire around me and enemy footsteps behind me (you can really hear when a Roadhog is trying to flank you in Overwatch). Athough the sound was good , I expected a little more. I think its partially due to PS4 having a very LOW volume limit for analog headsets. I wanted to turn up the volume because on my brother's Xbox these were LOUD. On PS4 they were not. Unfortunately, I bought a refurb'd pair that broke within 5 hours of use. The audio jack became loosened and the left cup would no longer produce sound unless held in place. Less than a day and they fucked up although they were refurbs so I didnt expect them to last. They were hella comfy though and i might have just got a pair that slipped past QC department. If my next set doesnt work out, I might go back and try an actual new pair of these because they are comfotable and I hear Kingston stands by their products (I ordered off a 3rd party ebay seller.) I would suggest these for anyone looking to get a cheap entry set.
    *= this product was not brand new but refurbished, meaning a brand new set could be much better than my experience with them.

Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger: NEED TO FINISH Found here . After trying out my Cloud II's, my brother asked me about a pair but wanted something just a little smaller in can size. So I suggested I get him the HyperX Cloud Stingers since his birthday was on the 13th (yesterday) I have not received them so I will give input on their performance soon. I ordered them right before my Cloud II's gave out but I think the Stingers will last much longer being brand new. They look solid and for the price I hear they are quite good.

Steelseries Arctis 3 :
    Found here . So as I returned the HyperX's to the post office this morning, I was looking at different sets and came across the Arctis series from Steelseries. The company itself has a decent reputation for creating great wireless sets (like the Siberia 800) So I'm taking a chance and have these on order as of now. I will update soon. They look pretty nice and i love the design. If they use the Siberia 800's drivers like they claim, they should produce some great sound. I ordered the Arctis 3 headset as I'll be using them with the DS4 controller so really no wireless needed in the arctis 7's and i dont need fancy lights like in the 5's. I will also use these as regular headphone because they dont look like a gigantic , lit up, gaming headset like most do (ala Logitechs horrendously ugly G933 or Madcatz Tritton Katana)

Update 12/19/16

Ok so I got the Steelseries Arctis 3s . They are very comfortable. The Cloud II being slightly more comfortable at first because they are easier to adjust. When I adjusted the headband and got the phones on just right, they feel amazing. Very light on the ears while still doing a decent job of cancelling outside noise. The Cloud II does a better job clearing background noise due to the can size.

These look and feel like a quality set. The matte rubberized finish on the phones themselves and the steel band through the headset feel very well constructed. More so than the Cloud's . The head band is kind of a gimmick but does work once you adjust them properly with your head size. The retractable mic doesnt feel shitty and its quality is also very good for a on board mic.

The sound quality through my computer is on point! Very rich and robust highs and mids and slightly more bass than the Cloud II's. The sound quality was even better when running steelseries Engine 3 software. I could adjust the EQ and have working 7.1 VSS. The only shitty thing is that again, it was very quiet through my ps4 controller. Idk what the hell is up but the controller has been quiet through two very nice sets of headphones. I've tried multiple controllers but I'm going to try running the audio through a cheap usb DAC and see if it changes. Also run going to try running through a mic/audio splitter from the PS4 controller. PS4 must still be having issues with 3rd party headsets plugged through their controllers. Idk but I've adjusted all settings from the audio settings, adjusted volume through device settings, and even forcing game audio all the way up over chat audio through setting up a party. Nothing. I really want a good set that will just work great with the ps4 controller.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've had many a pair of gaming headsets, but my favorite and go to is the Razer Kraken Chroma pro, 7.1 fits my head comfortably and the sound quality is superb. Although I did enjoy the corsair void wireless which was really nice, just i didn't enjoy having it die on me so I switched back to the krakens. I also used the blue yeti pro, but it's so bulky with the boom stand I switched back to headset VoIP on the krakens which aren't so bad at all.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Kraken Chroma was one of the phone i was checking out. If the Arctis doesnt hold up ill be checking those out for sure. How is the bass response on that set?

4. Oh the bass response on them is awesome, one of the reasons I switched back. Gunshots actually sound and feel like gunshots etc.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rocking Astro a50 love them. Comfortable as all hell. Wireless, good battery life. Good sound. Lows, highs,mids. Have had them for a year now still in perfect condition (tho lite use). I live an apartment and my landlords don't like the bass(my sound system just sits there :( )so I even find myself using these to watch movies for the bass. Virtual surround sound plays great.
    I am afraid the charger port might break eventually tho... Rendering these useless, just don't like the feel of the charging port idkno. Time will tell. Feel like for what the cost they should have wireless charging built into the cradle.

I'm not a huge gamer so I have only used a few headphones in my day but these are by far the best that I have ever listened to.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  6. That's exactly what I'm looking for man. The Chromas aren't even that much more than Arctis so if they don't work out , I'll try to get shit Kraken. :geek:

The A50s are one of the top rated wireless sets man. I hope they last you a long time. I see a lot of people still use the nice mixamp even if the phones give out.

7. I love my HyperX cloud 2. It has a similar sound profile to my audio technica m50s. The hyperx is missing a few frequency ranges, but they are for gaming not audiophile/music recording right? I use my hyperx on my ps4, and my pc. My pc has a dedicated sound card, they work very well. I really dislike the multi-driver or simulated surround headsets. That's my preference though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sennheiser hds cost me a canny bit but they sound unreal

Autoflower420

• Like Like x 1
  9. Man I loved how comfy this set was but on my PS4 , it didnt seem to have enough volume. Idk it really might have just been a bad pair but i couldnt get the volume levels right on PS4. On Xbox they were much louder even at lower volume in Xbox's settings.

Most anything Sennheiser makes is great man. Hell the Game One and Zero are some of the top ggaming sets on the market.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have mine turned down to about 3/4 in the ps menu, I also play Spotify while I game, and set the music volume at half. Weird man.

11. I updated the first post. Still having volume issues with headsets plugged in through my controller. Idk what it is . going to try to remedy it through a DAC on the USB of the PS4 itself or a mic/audio splitter from the ps4 controller. Wish me luck lol.

12. Good luck man

• Like Like x 1
  13. Returned the Arctis 3's and ordered Sony's Platinum PS4 Headset . I hope the hinges will hold up better than the Gold's. Won't know if it's good til the end of the month when its released. IF it does in fact release at the end of the month since this sets been delayed twice now. I hope with the delays, theyve improved the quality especially those damn hinges!

14. I am a feeble old man. Ear buds cause me pain. I have to wear the headsets on the outside with the foam cushions. I get them at the dollar store.

15. Im a headphone horder have canny few pairs 5 are sennys

Autoflower420

• Like Like x 1
  16. i have a razar kraken a ok headset but with my massive head it pushes my ears back so i get sores but thats just me

• Like Like x 1
  17. I use the playstation gold headset works pretty well havent had any problems

Sent from my LG-D852 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sorry for takin so long . I received the PS Platinum headset January 20th and it's pretty nice.

IMG_5157.JPG

The packaging was the best I've seen thus far on any headsets I've tested in here. The build construction seems on point. They also improved the hinges from the Golds by making the rod inside the hinges thicker and the hinges themselves a little bit bigger. The top is also improved upon by using a metal band. Underneath it is a rubber piece that rests on your head. While these are quite an improvement from the older model, I still find the rubber part not as comfortable as the Cloud IIs or Arctis'. Nevertheless they don't cause any discomfort unless I move them around and my hair catches on the rubber part. Ear pads are very cushioned and don't cause my ears discomfort or sweat although the Arctis earpad material was my fav.

IMG_5156.JPG

Sound is amazing! I threw them on at first and I thought them a bit week. Once I setup the app on the PS4 , then did the firmware update for the cans , they became much louder. Tweaking the settings was great and some of the custom game profiles really help for that specific game (like Uncharted 4)

The Virtual 3D surround in uncharted was pretty sweet. I was getting shot at by a guy from a hilltop and could hear the bullets whizzing down at me from above. Awesome. It also helps improve sound across other games that don't even support 3DVSS like Nioh , FFXV and Watchdogs 2. Play around in the app and see what settings work best for you . I like the "Bass Boost" profile, Uncharted 4s, and I have 2 different custom sound settings I setup for movies and casual gaming.

Once I figured out how to use them in party chat (thanks @Markc05 for bearing with me on that) they work very well with independent channels for voice and game. Voices are clear as hell Im guessing mine comes in clear too. The button placement can be kinda tricky to get used to. I still find myself misktaking the game volume and chat volume buttons or might accodently mute myself when trying to turn them up. Just gotta get used to them I guess.

Overall I'm very satisfied with this set. It solved my volume issues I had when running headsets through the controller. I can't even play with these turned to max it's too loud lol. They aren't as comfy as the Cloud II or Arctis but they function better for my needs. The button design could have been a little better too.

Even so, this is a really great quality set and was worth the multiple delays, very few negatives and price. If these broke I'd buy another pair.

Hoping these last for years to come.

19. Ya @WaxPayne the first 'can you hear me' thing was kinda funny. After the setup though, voice was clear and concise.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Haha sorry i took so long :laughing: Reminded me of the old verizon commercials lol

• Like Like x 1