What is your favorite type of perc?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by n1mbus, Jun 15, 2017.

1. There are so many different types of percs out there honeycombs, tree, dome, shower heads, etc...

I was wondering which type of percolators do you guys find will deliver the smoothest and dankest of hits? Please share your opinions and thoughts.

2. Frankly I don't feel like there is much of a difference between percs.
    It's more about how many there are in the stack.

I find that honeycombs are the most effective in ash catchers. But I also find them to be the most sensitive to water level and being held straight when in use. They are generally very sturdy.

Inline percs are the most fragile in my experience. Lots of manufacturers don't properly reinforce them. So if you drop a piece the inline perc is bound to break.

Trees are a happy medium for me. They are usually reinforced to some extent, but still fragile. With a decent amount of arms they make very good percs. And as they aren't too sensitive to water levels and angles they are generally easy to use.

Showerhead percs are probably the most rugged of the non-disc types. But usually the most draggy. More sensitive to angles and levels than a tree perc, similar to an inline. But way less than a honeycomb.

Dome percs are generally nice and sturdy and have the benefit of being easily used as either a perc or splash guard. Personally I find them to be less useful as a perc and more as a splash guard.

Helix percs are quite a lot like a tree perc with less arms that are a lot longer.
    For some reason I prefer a helix perc when smoking with tobacco mixed in. Not sure why it just tokes the nicest.

The two big things to realize about percs is that it isn't about the sheer number of holes, and stacks of percs that can't be taken apart are a pain to clean.

For example my blaze glass honeycomb AC is a great AC, but as a precooler it can't hope to get close to my black leaf triple perc for smoothness. However the triple perc needs an AC as it's nearly impossible to get floaties out of it once they pass the first perc.

If the sheer number of holes was all that matters every perc would be a fritted disc.
    Also just adding up the number of holes on multiple percs makes no sense. Because it doesn't take into account the number of times the smoke is passed through water.
    My honeycomb perc has a couple hundred holes, way more than the triple perc has. But because the triple perc passes through water three times, it is more smooth.

In the end it's personal preference. Finding the right balance of drag, chamber volume and passes through water is a very personal thing.

I could tell you the best possible setup is a dry AC on top of a triple perc, with a showerhead downstem on a litre beaker with carb hole. Because that is my preferred setup. But you might not agree. Maybe it has too much drag for your taste, or perhaps you feel that you can't clear it because of the large volume it has.

3. Wow thanks for the time you took to reply! I agree, that it really depends on the individual; however, I, myself, prefer a tree percolator... but cleaning is definitely a problem for me...

Do you have any pics/photos of your blaze glass honeycomb AC & black leaf triple perc? I was wondering how this particular set up would look.

4. Clearly you never have seen a peyote pillar saying there's not much of a difference, smoothest hit known to man, things are sick as hell
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. View attachment 2222427

I abuse the BL carbon filter as a semi-dry AC. I can't stack the honeycomb AC on this because it has a 45deg shoulder.