What is wrong with this seedling?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Dj Rezin, Jun 7, 2019.

1. What is wrong with this seedling was the first one to sprout but looks like it's wilted over as it's not grown straight up also it's black!! Slightly purple but more black / Brown only planted it yesterday and was the first to pop up but looks fucked!

I do have to add that my pH has been completely all over the place due to these crappy pH metres! even though it's brand new an I've only just discovered it's completely off as in dangerously off and I have been using the meter for the germination and the moistening of the soil which I've had to do 3 times since yesterday morning and today I've just ordered some pH buffering powder this is the only thing I can think of to why it would sprout like this unless if anyone else can tell me if they have any ideas. I was thinking it could be the lights to strong or not strong enough even though they are only cfls I have them pretty close but no closer than 6 inches

x2 20w CFL But they give off the equivalent of 100 Watts apparently I don't understand that bit but that's what it says on the box

Plus I also have a standard 30w cfl but it's not as bright as the other two bulbs, I have all three on at the moment as I have 22 seedling pots ready to sprout so I thought it needed all 3 switched on

Just to add my temperatures and humidity have been pretty much absolutely spot on for a change so I can rule that one out. Any ideas?

These are eventually going outside
    20190607_134629.jpg 20190607_134542.jpg 20190607_135050.jpg 20190607_134223.jpg 1559911992897.jpg 1559912141053.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. take a better photo cant see anything in this one. BTW watering three times a day is way way too much, the soil just needs to be a bit damp or you can drown the tender seedlings, they need air more than water at this point. Also too much moister can harbor mold that can kill the seedlings, AKA Damping Off.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. seedling dont need much water snd usually misting the seedling for the first week should be fine

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ok great I'll leave them for a few days it was only because the soil kept drying up really crisp. This is what the first seedling that looks like that popped, to me it looks fucked. But I guess I'll just leave it to dry out for a few couple days with a light spray when needed =full]2626736[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

5. I'd watch it with interest; you have plenty more...
    I feed my seedlings with a large syringe (turns away, embarrassed).

• Like Like x 3
  6. #6 Dj Rezin, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Haven't really got time for stunted plants. Is there absolutely no way this could bounce back as normal it's an autoflower but is only day one. Just don't like the look of it and I'm looking in all of the other pots and can see the heads to the others and can see slight purpling on every stem and all of them are bent over and will need straightening up when they come properly through. Starting to think about pulling them all out and starting again and ordering 25 more autoflowering. This time I'll have a proper calibrated pH metre have been feeding it water PH down to 3.5-4.5 and had no idea how I offset my pH metre was untill just now, the thing is brand new, plus the next time I won't be watering as much now I know how little water seedlings need. Any thoughts?? Should I pull the plug start again?

7. .

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. The sprout you are questioning has the seed shell still attached. Mist it with water to soften it and gently remove with a toothpick. Your soil is way too wet - you run the risk of damping off.

9. More light intensity would help.
    Those bulbs are only putting out 1,100 lumens each lol. And you have them like 20”+ which means it’s even less. Optimal is 7,500 lumens per sqf. I’d say you turn on all the lights and drop them another 6” oh and that’s waayyy to many plants in that size room. I hope ur planning on moving some to another location?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dont gauge the water level in the soil just by looking at the top layer. Picking up the pot to feel how heavy it is is a much better way. Keeping the top layer wet will harbor pathogens and invite fungus gnats to lay eggs.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, MY opinion, man.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dont touch the seedlings they will straighten out on their own. let them do their thing.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, MY opinion, man.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Okay cool thanks for the reply. How about exactly this but x 7 and I have 7 more set up that I can switch on its just I had too much light is bad for seedlings but I didn't realise how low grade my lights was just getting them ready to go outside when they are strong enough in 4 weeks. Thanks for your time so do you recommend 1100x6?? Will this do for now or is x6 too much? I'll order sum better lights soon.

13. Of course. Wouldn’t want you losing any seedlings!
    If you plan on moving them outside like you said then the amount of light you have should be fine for a month. I just wouldn’t use it a whole grow and especially not in flower.

14. Okay Prefect thanks mate. so switch on all 6 lights yeah 1100×6 lumens=6600 all together, or just stick with the 3 I already have switched on.

15. Thoughts?
    I understand that you have 'little time' to fart about.
    *I* am in a different situation.
    You see the plants better than I do. If you think they're pud, then ditch them and start anew.
    Ask around if anyone KNOWS of a RELIABLE PH tester, if you need one.
    My partner got one for me... it wouldn't even calibrate; trashcan; I don't need one.
    I am old; litmus paper used to be the standard for testing PH; vague, but reliable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Like every has said....too much water. I start my seedlings with CFL's but they need to be 2 inches from the sprout or they will stretch and fall over. Good luck!

17. More lumens more growth. Ur only running 60watts right now. That’s like $5-10 a month MAX
    If turn on all 6 you’ll have 120 watts ($10-15 MAX a month in power) I’m running 1,800 actual watts 18/6 and it only raises my bill $20 a month.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Switch the CFL for led. They use less light and the light quality us better ..you can use standard house bulbs which are inexpensive as well yo buy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  19. Perfect I will adjust this now but are you definitely sure as 2 inches seems a bit close as they get a little bit hot, not boiling hot I can hold the bulbs in my hand but not for too long as they do start to burn are we definitely sure we are going with 2 inches on these as I will adjust this now? Many thanks

20. I dont sit my 250w cfl that close, i let them stretch a little then burry the stem.. health is at upmost importance to me... im positive the intensity from 2inches away will hurt the seedlings.

• Like Like x 1