What is wrong with these girls? :( first-time grow

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by robotdinosaur, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Hi guys. I am working with some young purple kush seedlings just over 2 weeks from germination, and an 8-week old madness plant that is still in veg. They are not looking so good and I am having a lot of trouble fixing them.

My setup is T5s for veg in a 4x4 tent with plenty of circulation/exhaust (2-3 tent volumes per minute at low fan settings). The madness was in organic compost/living soil up until today when I transplanted it from 3 gal to 7 gal fabric pot, now in roots organic soil. The purple kush are all in roots organic soil too. RH is consistently 40%-60% but have seen spikes/drops to 30% or 70%. Temperature has mostly been 75-85 F but was up around 90-95 for 2-3 days during a heatwave (only that hot during the day, cooled to ~80 F at night). I have also treated all 4 plants with neem oil solution containing biodegradable dish soap, thinking that I might have a pest issue. I treated them this past Sunday.

So let me talk about the madness first. The madness was originally grown by a friend of mine, and I was given the plant last Tuesday so exactly one week ago. She looked much better before I took her in. I may have been overwatering- she was bone dry about 2 inches deep into the soil the first time I watered, but she has not really been drinking since then. I noticed today that she wasn't drinking because the soil was still damp when I transferred her to the 7 gallon fabric pot. I have been watering her with pH 6.5 water with no nutrients, as I was informed that the living soil does not need any nutes added. As you will see in the pics, she is looking very stressed, with symptoms that I believe indicate root rot but I am really not experienced enough to be sure.

The purple kush were definitely overwatered when they were very young (like day 3-4). Since then I have only watered another 4-5 times, always checking to be sure the soil is dry at least one knuckle deep while they were in starter planters. I have only watered them with water at pH 6.0-6.5, gradually increasing over the two weeks, and I have not used any nutes. For some reason, these plants are growing extremely slow. They were not even ready to be transplanted to solo cups until yesterday at the two-week mark, which seems ridiculous, right?

Since transplanting the three purple kush to solo cups yesterday, they are not looking good. They show hardly any new growth (weren't showing much in the first place) and the leaves have started to wilt and bend in odd ways. My best guess, again, is that they are showing root rot. The roots on the biggest purple kush plant did not look unhealthy, however, at 2 weeks, they were not even close to being rootbound in their starter planters. So root growth seems extremely slow too. As of today, two of the purple kush cannot even support themselves in the new soil and have fallen over. I haven't watered them since transplanting because they also seem to be hardly drinking anything. Also, to clarify, the solo cups have draining holes cut in to the bottom and the starter planters had holes in the sides and bottom for drainage/air exchange. So their lack of drinking is not something I am mistaking for lack of drainage.

I am really at a loss with how to proceed here. I can't properly identify what these issues are being caused by, so I am here to seek your assistance and knowledge. To top it all off, I'm pretty sure I might have spider mites and/or aphids. I've definitely seen some sort of pest, in very small numbers, but I am pretty certain that they are present.

Really appreciate any wisdom and help you all can provide. Thanks!!

Attached Files: