What is this pink floyd song bout

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by bablok, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Just started to like them and i was watching the video for comfortably numb, im confused... Is it about drugs or a dude in an insane asylum or what. Also wtf is pigs about, cops haha

2. this song is about doing a shot of coke ,,if u listen it says,and also its about roger waters,i have been a floyd fan since 1982 ,,,love the band,,,both lineups,,but i prefer floyd with gilmour better,,,,listen to some of their older stuff its alot different than the post syd barret music

3. #3 bablok, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Aight wats a good classic or two by them:D

4. To me, it's just about escaping the pressures of life and escaping your real emotions (numbing your emotions)

5. Comfortably Numb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. It's what you make out of it, but I always felt that it was about all drugs or any experience that leaves you just... comfortably numb. Haha.

7. The Animals album is great, start to finish. It's a really well told story.

wiki

8. Pink Floyd is honestly so good you can literally pick any song at random and will love it. Quite literally the best band ever imho.

9. #9 Echoes of Floyd, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
    Awesome :smoke: Please get too like them more, their genius. I'm actually writing a book about them myself.

Comfortably Numb is on the album the Wall. Which from start to finish is one whole story. A Concept album.

About a young boy named Pink, and going through his hardships in life. From his dad being sent off to war when he was young, corrupt school system, government, girlfriends, etc. And all that frustration caused Pink to build The Wall. Not a literal wall. But a mental wall inside his mind. With only his own Mother to have his back no matter what.

In Comfortably Numb far into the story, Pink has already built the wall, trapping himself from society. The ignorant music agency & medics, find Pink passed out unconscious. The song can be split into two, The verses (Roger Waters) singing as a Doctor to Pink, and the chorus (David Gilmour) as Pink, saying your not healing me. I've gone through this before as a child, this feeling.

The song has alot of personal connection to Roger Waters who had that feeling like his hands were two balloons. And once even had to play live with that same feeling.

The Wall itself is very beautiful, everyone no matter who you are build walls to hide behind your fears. Whether its mental walls to not deal with problems or people, or literal walls to hind behind your enemies.

Pigs on the other hand is on another concept album called Animals. In this concept albums Pink Floyd fucking geniusly remodels the book 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell.

Where:
    Pigs = Disgusting, evil, corrupt, snotty people business leaders who will do anything to make a buck. Money & Power is the only thing they care about.

Dogs = The people who are possessed by the Pigs. Will do anything to please them. The normal average business man. With the club tie, and the firm handshake. A certain look in the eye, and an easy smile. And they have to be trusted by the people that you lie to.... :smoke:

Sheep = The lost ones. Me. The ones who don't agree with the system, yet know they can't overpower them.

You should also check out Darkside of the Moon. The greatest album of all time. Another Concept album :bongin: This one however, every song songs the listener how one can travel to the Darkside of The Moon. Which means to go crazy, to get lost in life, to become a Pig

The album starts...and ends...being born. to dying.

1) Breathe - The baby is born into this fucked up world up work work work,
    2) On the Run - instrumental, Expressing Travel, the fear of travel
    3)Time -my favorite song, How Time itself plays a burden on your life. "And then one day you find.....ten years have got behind you.....
    4) MONEY - This is why I fucking fucking Pink Floyd. Every band you hear today is "get money, buying carsss, buying jewerlyyy, buying everythinggg" Pink Floyd is showing you how this leads to the Darkside. "The root of all evil today"
    5) Us & Them) Basically how being different, and being opposite. No matter race, color, ideas, religion etc. can lead to the darkside.
    6)Any Colour You Like -another trippy instrumental. This has many different
    theories. I have my own
    7) Brain Damage-a broad statement of the collapse in this world. What its come to. And politics.
    8) Eclipse-This song is genius. It blends every single song into one for the grand finale.

This albums, also has hundreds of amazing stories and brilliant things nobody knows. As the rest of all their albums. Always mysterious. Almost every line, every picture, every albums has a awesome adventure & story behind it.

Check my Floyd blog for a little more info if you want, don't really have too much.

But just PM me about meanings of any of their songs or albums or anything.

Shine
    on
    You >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Syd Barret
    Crazy
    Diamond

Love spreading the Floyd love :smoke:

"And oh by the way......which one's Pink" ;)

10. #10 bablok, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Just got done dwnloading darkside ima dwnload animals tommorow tht shit is gonna b strate to smoke to:D

11. some of my fav's are
    free four ,,,,the fletcher memorial home,,,when the tigers broke free, ,,arnold lane ,,high hopes ,,not now john,,,bike,,,,and many many many more

12. Roger Waters wrote the lyrics. While many people thought the song was about drugs, Waters claims it is not. The lyrics are about what he felt like as a child when he was sick with a fever. As an adult, he got that feeling again sometimes, entering a state of delirium, where he felt detached from reality. He told Mojo magazine (December 2009) that the lines, "When I was a child I had a fever/My hands felt just like two balloons" were autobiographical. He explained: "I remember having the flu or something, an infection with a temperature of 105 and being delirious. It wasn't like the hands looked like balloons, but they looked way too big, frightening. A lot of people think those lines are about masturbation. God knows why."

n a radio interview around 1980 with Jim Ladd from KLOS in Los Angeles, Waters said part of the song is about the time he got hepatitis but didn't know it. Pink Floyd had to do a show that night in Philadelphia, and the doctor Roger saw gave him a sedative to help the pain, thinking it was a stomach disorder. At the show, Roger's hands were numb "like two toy balloons." He was unable to focus, but also realized the fans didn't care because they were so busy screaming, hence "comfortably" numb. He said most of The Wall is about alienation between the audience and band.
    Exploring further, Mojo asked Waters about the line, "That'll keep you going through the show," referring to getting medicated before going on-stage. He explained: "That comes from a specific show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia (June 29, 1977). I had stomach cramps so bad that I thought I wasn't able to go on. A doctor backstage gave me a shot of something that I swear to God would have killed a f---ing elephant. I did the whole show hardly able to raise my hand above my knee. He said it was a muscular relaxant. But it rendered me almost insensible. It was so bad that at the end of the show, the audience was baying for more. I couldn't do it. They did the encore about me."

13. Ok
    just a little pin prick
    there'll be no more aaaaaaaah
    but you may feel a little sick

Can you stand up?
    I do believe it's working, good
    that'll keep you going for the show
    come on, it's time to go

How is there any doubt to what this song's about? It's actually called 'comfortably numb'.

14. Probably my favorite album. They had already written 2 of the songs and then decided to go with the concept album, so they changed the lyrics. If you download the old concerts you can still get them where they preform the originals in concert, with different names. I can only think of "raving and drooling" which ended up being "sheep", and thanks to google "gotta be crazy" which ended up being "dogs"

Raving and Drooling
    Raving and drooling I fell on his neck with a scream
    He had a whole lotta terminal shock in his eyes
    That's what you get for pretending the rest are not real
    Babbling and snapping at far away flies
    he will zig zag his way back though
    memories of boredom and pain

How does it feel to be empty and angry and
    spaced

Split up the middle between the illusion of
    safety in numbers and the fist in your face

Gotta Be Crazy
    You gotta be crazy, you gotta be mean
    You gotta keep your kids and your car clean
    You gotta keep climbing, you gotta keep fit
    You gotta keep smiling, you gotta eat shit
    You gotta be small to be a big shot
    You gotta eat meat to stay at the top
    You gotta be trusted, gotta tell lies
    You gotta be able to narrow your eyes

You gotta believe they've gotta believe you
    You gotta appear to be easy to see through
    Gotta be sure you look good on the T.V.
    Gotta resemble a human being

You gotta keep one eye over your shoulder
    Gonna get harder as you get older
    Gotta fly south and hide in the sand
    Gotta forget that your gonna get cancer

And when you lose control, you'll reap
    the harvest you have sown
    And as the fear grows, the bad blood
    slows and turns to stone
    And it's to late to loose the weight you
    used to need to throw around
    So have a good drown as you go down
    alone
    Dragged down by the stone

Gotta be sure, you gotta be quick
    Gotta divide the tame from the sick
    Gotta keep some of us docile and fit
    You gotta keep everyone buying this shit

They gotta get you started early
    Processed by the time you're thirty
    Work like fuck till your sixty five
    And then your time's your own until
    you die

I gotta admit to lot of confusion
    Pain in the head is the child of collusion
    Gotta resist the creeping malaise
    You gotta believe in the way you get
    out of the maze
    But you, you just keep on pretending
    You can tell a sucker from a friend
    But you still raise the knife to
    stranger, lover, friend and foe alike.

Who was born in a house full of pain
    Who was sent out to play on his own
    Who was raised on a diet of shame
    Who was trained not to spit in the fan
    Who was told what to do by the man
    Who was broken by trained personnel
    Who was fitted with bridle and bit
    Who was given a seat in the stand
    Who was forcing his way to the rails
    Who was offered a place on the board
    Who was only a stranger at home
    Who was ground down in the end
    Who was found dead on the phone
    Who was dragged down by the stone.

15. Marooned is possibly my favorite

16. Reading your version of "Gotta Be Crazy" I barely recognize it.

Les Claypool Frog Brigade - Dogs

You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need
    You gotta sleep on your toes, when you're on the street
    You got to be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed!
    And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight
    You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking
    And after a while, you can work on points for style
    Like the club tie, and the firm handshake
    A certain look in the eye, and an easy smile
    You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
    So that when they turn their backs on you
    You'll get the chance to put the knife in
    You gotta keep one eye looking over your shoulder
    You know it's going to get harder, and
    Harder, and harder as you get older
    And in the end you'll pack, fly down south
    Hide your head in the sand
    Just another sad old man
    All alone and dying of cancer
    And when you loose control, you'll reap the harvest that you've sown
    And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone
    And it's too late to loose the weight you
    Used to need to throw around
    So have a good drown, as you go down alone
    Dragged down by the stone
    I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
    Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake of this creeping malaise
    If I don't stand my own ground, how can I
    Find my way out of this maze
    Deaf, dumb, and blind, you just keep on pretending
    That everyone's expendable and no one had a real friend
    And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner
    And you believe at heart, everyone's a killer
    Who was born in a house full of pain
    Who was trained not to spit in the fan
    Who was told what to do by the man
    Who was broken by trained personnel
    Who was fitted with collar and chain
    Who was given a seat in the stand
    Who was breaking away from the pack
    Who was only a stranger at home
    Who was ground down in the end
    Who was found dead on the phone
    Who was dragged down by the stone

17. Egad, take that nonsense about Claypool down! That is Pink Floyds "Dogs", from the animals album...unless I am missing something here.

So Floyd wrote "Gotta Be Crazy", rewrote and retitled it as dogs, and I assume Claypool covered it.