What is this foamy stuff??

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Stroomz, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Pretty straight forward, picture below, there's this foam/bubbly off white substance floating in my medium and covering the roots etc. what is it? Is it bad? Only issue with my plant so far is two leaves have yellow spot but that's it. I had tap water for a few days which I didn't like I haven't been able to get the spring water I normally use so I tried that and noticed the foam so I switched to distilled water from Walmart and today a day later I still see it. Maybe it's still from the tap water and was in the roots or is it just my nutrients? I use what's pictured and haven't gone over 1000ppm and I lowered it to 500ppm for now.
    Water>>>
    [​IMG]
    Yellow leaf spot>>>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also raised the light to its final height as the top was within 8 inches of the leds before I raised it
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Not sure bro. If the plants are ok then don't worry.

Protip: Rinse off your nute bottles, crusty sticky shit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hi...

What are the res temps? I try to keep my nutrients between 18c and 20c. This helps keep the possibility of root rot down. One problem with tap water is the chlorine that the city puts in. You should let it sit 24 hrs before using. You might also want to think about an RO filter. You can find them on MeBay for less than $100. Expensive? Yes... But depending on the cost of your bottled water, it can pay for itself pretty quickly.

good luck!

4. Hey what is an RO filter?

I normally use water from an outdoor natural spring and all plants absolutely love it it's kinda my secret ingredient most people don't have access to a natural spring. But recently I haven't been able to make the trip over to the spring to fill up my jugs so that's he only reason I used the tap water and then bottles distilled. The plant is healthy though I just didn't wanna risk changing that status. Thanks for your input!

5. Attempting to pull 3oz or more from this one Jack Herer, does it look possible? I think it's on the edge I've had similiar size plant but with less tops get to 2 oz so not sure if a whole other oz is asking too much...we'll see soon I guess almost two weeks into flower

6. It's a Reverse Osmosis filter. I have water from a well and it's full of all kinds of junk.. A RO filter takes everything out of the water. It's very similar to bottled water when it gets done.
    Sounds like you already have great water from the spring.

7. An RO filter would be cheaper and better for the environment. I am currently using distilled water but I'm making the switch when I get my bonus in March. That spring sounds interesting. Have you tested the water?

8. I haven't tested it but what do you mean ph and ppm? The ph for it is perfect about 5.5-6 naturally. I've gone from dieing plants with tap water and switched to the spring water and they come back to life or I swear it makes the nugs frostier. It's just great quality water and H2o is everything.

I've noticed my mediums ph is rising very high very quickly...pretty much overnight it goes from slightly acidic to super basic is this from using tap or distilled water or the nutrients maybe?