What is this brown stuff, and how do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by OldManDave, Aug 31, 2015.

1. #1 OldManDave, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2015
    In the last several months I've started getting "fluffy tarry brown junk" in my mouth and on my lips. Here's a pic of the stuff floating in the pipe:

The only thing I can think of that has changed in any way is that I've increased the amount I smoke over the years, from half to one gram. I wonder if whatever it is might be water-solluable but now the water is saturated so it precipitates (if that's the right word) out. Anyone know what's going on and how to avoid it? It's kinda gross.

The picture is upside down for some reason. Is it official licensed merchandise? I doubt it...

Thanks,
    Dave

Attached Files:

2. is the bowl clean?is the stem clean?

3. Is that a dabbing piece? /kind/ of looks like a buildup of unburned oil/wax.
    If that's just a herb only piece, then ew. I have no idea what that is, and it's gross. Get that out of your bong ASAP. ISO bath it.

4. if that is in the ganja you're smoking then you need to be getting it from someone else. looks contaminated with something....how about posting pictures of the ganja you get?

if that is wax, then i would think they are using a shitty brand of 'tane or they aren't purging it properly. i get a build up in my dab rig or when i rip the remains of hash oil / keif / ganja doobies through my bong. then it gets fucking goopy. that though, looks like someone is smoking some home bake wax or something?

you could scoop that goopy shit out and take a closer look at it? it doesn't look like it is mixing with the water very well though. that also makes me think it is oil based like it wasn't purged or clean 'tane wasn't used when they blasted....regardless of all that shit, no fucking way i smoke any of what ever it is you are smoking until i get to the bottom of what it is though. thats for sure.

post pics of the wax / ganja you smoke and lets see what we see broski! [​IMG]

5. Should be clean, I use 420 pyrex cleaner every second day, so there's no buildup. I get it with most every kind of flower, but I'll take a pic and post it.

I'd like to get a 'better' version of this style of pipe, so I'll also see if I can get a pic of it as well to find out more about what it is and how to get a bigger/better one of that type.

6. is that tobacco or something? Not sure would produce brown floaties. Weed is green or black/gray after being burned.

7. #7 OldManDave, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
    OK, here are pics of the two primary strains I use (though I get it with anything), both in bud and then ground. Let me know if you think anything looks wrong.

I also included a picture of the pipe. If I'd like a better pipe in the same style, but with more water capacity, I'd appreciate suggestions. In my scenario I don't want my mouth wrapped around a 2-foot bong!

Whatever it takes to get rid of this goo. I even dug up some old stuff from 6 months ago and it did the same thing.

The perspective on the pipe pic is a little weird; it's about 5 inches top to bottom.

Attached Files:

8. This looks like a question only you can answer I can't even tell what that is, it looks like you jammed cookies into your bowl

9. You have way to much water, mine is only filled this much and I never eat anything..
    Fill it just over the perc

Attached Files:

10. I'll try the less water approach, maybe less will make it over the hump.

11. Well, it did reduce the odds of big flakes coming up and over and into my mouth, but I'm still getting brown goo on my lips and so forth. Weird. Wish I knew what normal was and what I've got going on different.

12. i dont know man leave all the parts in iso for like a week should break down anything i wouldnt smoke out of it until you get the problem figured out that shit is nasty

13. I've seen some of this in my rig when I use it to smoke bud, it's super disgusting but I'm pretty sure its just a buildup of bud coming through the bowl and smoke discoloring it or something along those lines. I've just gotta clean it once I notice it because I can't stand to take a hit knowing some shit like that is in my piece [​IMG]

14. With the amount of water you had it might just have been cooling the smoke too much and the essential oils were reverted back to a solid inside the water. Clean with warm ISO and start anew with much much less water