What is the purpose of life?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by chrisdask8r, Apr 1, 2014.

1. I was getting baked the other day and couldn't stop thinking about the purpose of life. Is it to repopulate and just keep the human being race a alive ? I have no Idea people do things to "enjoy life" more such as smoking, drinking, sports , video games , hobbies etc why do people do this were all going to die one day so what was the purpose of living just to die and repopulate ? Think about it why do we live?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. The answer is within you.

3. We spent a whole half of the year talking about the meaning of life in 4th grade.. i still dont know

4. To put it poetically...

What matters in the end,
    A life well lived,
    & a life well-lived left.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. But what is a "well lived life" many people can perceive it differently some people are happy with something's and some people need a lot of things some people need love. Why did god or whoever put us on the planet ? I think we are part of a game maybe it's the real life sims.

6. To live. Get on with it.

7. Well here's the best I've heard of it summed up-I post it alot though-sometimes it just seems to fit

Meaning is not something you stumble across, like the answer to a riddle or the prize in a treasure hunt. Meaning is something you build into your life. You build it out of your own past, out of your affections and loyalties, out of the experience of humankind as it is passed on to you, out of your own talent and understanding, out of the things you believe in, out of the things and people you love, out of the values for which you are willing to sacrifice something. The ingredients are there. You are the only one who can put them together into that unique pattern that will be your life. Let it be a life that has dignity and meaning for you. If it does, then the particular balance of success or failure is of less account.

John Gardner

We're stuck on a big rock spinning in space. Don't worry about the $64,000 question. If somebody knew they would've answered it by now! Might as well make the best of it! What else have you got to do? Enjoy life!...Keep in mind that time is irrelevant.  :smoke:

8. To find a mate to spread our genetic material.

The purpose of life is to continue life.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

9. life advances into its own purpose; the experience of its own existence.

10. #11 Uncle_Meat420, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014

We live to do what we do. Whatever that is is up to you

There is no purpose, we are just here

11. I'll have to get back to you on dat one.

12. (My bad on not responding sooner)
    By a life well lived, I mean to just live. I can't tell you what to do, but do what I want to do. Do what you don't want to do. Experience it. Take as much in as you can or want.
    A life well lived and a life well-lived left serve as a paradoxical theorem as well. The best way to live your life is to leave a legend behind you (preferably a positive one). Help people. When you die, all that's left is your name. Make it last. Leave the world better then you found it. Or leave it worse. But don't leave it the same...

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. #14 chux, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    probably peanut butter tbh

14. Easiest way to put it "the meaning of life, is life itself."

15. that's deep bro

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. I know brosef

17. You need to get laid

18. #19 garnetgoo, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
    Self-preservation of the species and just to survive this chaotic ticking time clock. If we didn't have people of our past that subscribed to this notion,  none of us would be around to question it. 

19. The purpose can also be to die, since we all do that eventually if we live long enough.