What is the point of a hood ??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by arn1016, Jul 10, 2011.

1. I'm curious about adding a hood over my two 42 watt cfls but my temps run in the 80s and i dont want them going up. im just wondering why people use hoods do they reflect the light and the heat? and if i had exhaust to suck the heat out from right under the lights? my exhaust is right below my lights on the same wall.. so a hood over it would the heat transfer way towards the fan and then out better?? thanks for any help i just like to know a bit about hoods ive search i bit around must just say light reflecting but i wanna know about temp as well :smoke:

2. Reflects the light down to the plant,and provides flanges for ducting to be attached. cooltubes can actually make it so there is no temp issues at all.

3. and even further down up the chain of cooling there are water cooled lights.

for your two 42w CFL's, if i were you, i'd just buy two metal "bowl" reflectors with a fan would do just fine.

the hood sis more work/money for only two 42 CFL unless you plan to get up into the 300w range hoods are far more advisable.

anyhow best of luck.

4. planning to go into the 200s yes im just starting this one as a test run for this grow box. ive never done a box before just indoor. so does the reflecting add to the temp?

5. yes and no.

the bowl will certainly not help it cool per say. it generally speaking is going to help push the heat down on your plant.

unless you completely picked up an air cooled hood for HID type lamnps.

or pick up the 150w HPS for like 90 bucks pick up a small sheet of glass cut it down to fit the 150 attach, and cool.

either way, any way you set it up, a fan directly on bulbs 105w and ++ help tremendously.

in my short experience