Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What is the penatly for weed in your state?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by IamTheTruth, Jun 22, 2009.

1. I live in Massachusetts and for anything under 28.3 ( a ounce ) its a 100 $ fine. "Those who are caught with an ounce or less would get a ticket similar to a building code citation. They could appeal the civil infraction in court within 21 days or pay a $100 fine set in the law. Juvenile violators would have to pay the fine and attend a drug abuse counseling course, or have the fine increased to $1,000." - The globe

Link to the actual law -
    Massachusetts - NORML

2. "Possession of two ounces or less of marijuana is punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a fine up to $2,000."

3. #3 ericryan, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009
    Same here in good ole' Texas
    But when i got caught i was able to make a deal with the judge, after waiting 3 days to get bailed out
    Had to do 24 hours of community service, drug classes, pass 2 UA's
    and my records sealed
    But if i get caught for a similar offense within 2 months
    I go to big boy county jail for two years
    So I'm tryin to play it safe for a bit :eek:

4. From the Norml website. Kansas Laws concerning possession of MJ

Possession of any amount of marijuana for personal use is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500. For a second conviction the penalty increases to 10 - 42 months in jail and a fine of up to $100,000.
    Possession with intent to sell or actual sale is punishable by 14 -51 months in jail and a fine of up to $300,000. Probation is possible for sentences of less than 32 months. Sale or possession with intent within 1,000 feet of a school is punishable by 46 - 83 months in prison and a fine of up to $300,000.
    Manufacture of a controlled substance is punishable by 138 - 204 months in prison.
    Possession of paraphernalia for personal us is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500. Possession of paraphernalia that would be used for planting or growing more than five marijuana plants is punishable by 10 - 42 months in jail and a fine of up to $100,000. ///////////////////////////////

Kansas laws seem pretty strict. I was caught once about eight years ago, but the cop was really cool. He just told me to throw my pipe into some bushes, and then he let me off without a ticket or anything. :D

5. none really.. if its under an ounce.. it usually gets thrown away. or you get a hundred dollar ticket.

6. i also live in mass...so ya its a 100 dollar fine

decriminalization is awesome...weed is pretty much legal in our state now...and a shitload of us blaze...sooo many closet smokers

7. Peace out.

"Possession of any amount of marijuana is punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $500 for a first offense. For a second offense the penalties increase to up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $2,000. A third or subsequent offense increases the penalty to up to 20 years in prison.
    Cultivation or sale, or possession with intent to distribute less than 60 pounds of marijuana is punishable by 5 - 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000. For greater than 60 pounds of marijuana a fine of up to $50,000 - $100,000. For greater than 2,000 pounds the punishment ranges from 10 - 40 years in prison and a fine of $100,000 - $400,000. For greater than 10,000 pounds the penalty increases to 25 - 40 years in prison and a fine of $400,000 - $1,000,000.
    Any sale to a minor at least three years younger than the seller doubles the possible penalties.
    For felony possession or sale within 1,000 feet of a school, religious building or public housing the penalty includes a mandatory minimum sentence of at least one half of the maximum penalty for the offense.
    Possession or sale of paraphernalia is punished by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $500 for the first offense. For a second offense, the penalty increases to up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. For a third offense, the penalty is up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000."

Louisiana sucks.

8. I live in mass also, I heard that if you have over 5 grams you can increase your chances of getting an Intent To Distribute charge against you. But i really don't know because iv'e never been busted by police ever.

9. Under the new law, possession of 25 or more plants (formerly 300 plants) is prima facie evidence of intent to sell or distribute, and is a second degree felony carrying a maximum penalty of 15 years in jail and a $10,000 fine.
    Possession of 20 grams or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. Possession of greater than 20 grams of marijuana is a felony, punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.
    The delivery of 20 grams or less of marijuana for no consideration is a misdemeanor and is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. Sale, delivery or cultivation of any other amount up to 25 pounds is a felony and punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.
    Sale, delivery or cultivation of greater than 25 pounds is considered trafficking, and all trafficking offenses have mandatory minimum sentences. For less than 2,000 pounds or less than 2,000 plants, there is a mandatory minimum sentence of three years and a fine of $25,000. For less than 10,000 pounds or less than 10,000 plants there is a mandatory minimum sentence of seven years and a fine of $50,000. For 10,000 pounds or 10,000 plants or greater, the mandatory minimum sentence is 15 years in prison and a fine of $200,000.
    Any sale or delivery occurring within 1,000 feet of a school, college, public park, public housing, daycare center, or church is punishable by up to 15 years in prison and a fine of $10,000.
    The possession of paraphernalia is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.
    Conviction of a drug related offense also requires suspension of the offender's driver's license for at least six months but not longer than two years.

meh, florida aint as bad as some other states..

10. that is OBVIOUISLY NOT TRUE...who the hell makes up these ridiculous rumors??? are u in high school?? thats the only place i can imagine u heard that...as long as the weed is in one bag then you are fine...unless u got over an ounce with you

11. Does anyone know the penalty for possession of less than an o in Ontario?

12. In Oregon, less than 1 oz is a violation with a $500 - $100 fine. More than 1 ounce jumps up to a Class B felony, $150,000 fine and up to 10 years in jail =/

13. I live in VA

The penalty in VA is crucifiction

If they find weed on you you will be crucified and a redneck named Billy bob will throw beer cans at you...

Last person who got caught with MJ died of exposure in the county courthouse...

No but seriously here are the penalties:

Possession of marijuana is punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a fine up to $500 for the first offense and up to one year in jail and a fine up to $2,500 for subsequent offenses.

Cultivation of marijuana is punishable by 5 - 30 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. A conviction for manufacturing marijuana must include proof that the marijuana was being grown for a purpose other than the grower’s personal use.

The delivery or sale of one-half ounce of marijuana or less is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine up to $2,500. For greater than one-half ounce, the penalties increase to a possible 1 - 10 years in prison and a fine up to $2,500. Sale or delivery of greater than five pounds carries a penalty of 5 - 30 years in prison. Any amount of 100 kilograms or greater is punishable by a mandatory minimum sentence of twenty years in prison with a possible maximum of life in prison and a fine of up to $1,000,000.

Any sale to a minor carries a penalty of 10 - 50 years in prison and a fine of up to $100,000. Any sale within 1,000 feet of a school, school bus, school bus stop, recreation center, public library or state hospital is punishable by 1 - 5 years in prison and a fine up to $100,000.

Transporting five pounds or more into the state with the intent to sell carries a sentence of 5 - 40 years in prison, with a three-year mandatory minimum sentence, and a fine of up to $1,000,000.

Probation with deferred proceedings is possible for first offenders in some instances.

The sale of paraphernalia is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine up to $2,500, unless the sale was to a minor, in which case the penalty increases to 1 - 5 years in prison and a fine up to $2,500.

14. i live in mass, so a slap on the wrist

15. in the UK, confiscation and a warning.

"The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) confirmed last night that the current policy of "confiscate and warn" would continue, despite Gordon Brown's determination to reclassify the drug in an attempt to "send a tough message" to young people about its use....

....An Acpo spokesman said last night: "The key will be the discretion for officers to strike the right balance. We do not want to criminalise young people who are experimenting." However, he stressed that cases involving "aggravating factors" were more likely to see an arrest and prosecution."

16. 25 g or less (first offense) civil citation none $100
    25 g or less (second offense) civil citation none $200
    25 g or less (3rd offense) misdemeanor 5 days and/or fine $250
    25 g to 2 oz* misdemeanor 3 months $500
    2 to 8 oz class A misdemeanor 1 year and/or fine $1,000
    Sale or Cultivation
    2 oz or less gift class B misdemeanor 3 months and/or fine $500
    24 g sale class A misdemeanor 1 year and/or fine $1,000
    25 g to 4 oz (first felony) class E felony 1 - 4 years,
    if second felony 3-4 years (mandatory ½ jail sentence) $5,000

new york isnt that bad

17. Don't know if Arizona's has been stated yet but here goes anyway

Marijuana possession is a criminal offense - For possession of an amount less than two pounds the sentence can range from 6 mos. - 1.5 years and a fine of $750 - $150,000. Possession of two or more pounds but less than four pounds is punishable by 9 mos. - 2 years in jail and a fine of $750 - $150,000. Possession of four pounds or more is punishable by 1.5 - 3 years in prison and a fine of $750 - $150,000.

Kinda sucks, I use to live right next door to the sheriff. But I had to smoke in my backyard x,x.

18. I live in chicago and I haven't ever been close to being caught -- but I hear it's pretty lax in the city. In illinois itself [depends on if you're caught by local or state] but state is like 2 years probation and 1 grand in fines.

It's essentially a slap on the wrist up to 28g, but everything else is felonious.

I've also heard that being honest with Chicago Cops if they ask if you have anything is usually the better choice. The attitude is pretty much that they have a lot more serious things to be dealing with, and if you're going to lie to them you'll just piss them off and give them a reason to take you in

19. Jersey its a misdemeanor for under 2 ounces I believe. You get arrested and booked, but are usually released that night without need for bail. Comes to about $850 in fines, and 1 year probation with drug testing. First offenses can get your record sealed after probation for $1200.

They usually drop little things like paraphernalia. They will drop DUI stuff if you were just in the car not driving. I have heard of people being let go by the cops, of course after all their goodies are confiscated.

Subsequent offenses can grab you up to a year in jail. You can also expect to not have any charges dropped, and to need bail.

If it jumps to Felony ranges (2+ oz/growing/selling), you are going to County for a few years.

20. CT is pretty crazy

if you have lawyer money and cash for the fines then your good.. otherwise they'll send you away.

anything 1500 feet from a school or daycare is 2 years mandatory minimum.