What is the most effecient way to germinate?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Taylored, Apr 20, 2011.

1. mine germinated fine and fast putting them in soaked paper towels in a dark spot. had them in my laundry room. like 2 days they started sprouting.

2. I put em in a shot glass of distilled water for 24 hrs just keep knocking them to the bottom until they stay there on there own then after 24 hrs i put em in a wet paper towel 100 percent for me

3. Taylored, if you do much reading, you will find that seed germination requires several factors and none of them involve paper towels.

The seeds need moisture, not water and they need air. Buy a sponge and cut it in half and put the seeds between the 2 halves and then moisten the sponges. This will allow for some air and prevent the seeds from drowning and rotting.

Temperature is the most critical factor in germination. Cannabis germinates at an optimum temperature of 76 farenheit. At 70 degrees, the seeds will take weeks to germ and may rot. At 82 farenheit, you can serve the beans up for dinner tonight with some cornbread.

Maintain stable temps and the seeds will germ. If not, they maynot.

4. Despite this, paper towel works extremely well.

5. A paper towel that is wet folded in half works the same as a sponge cut in half and the seed placed in-between the two.

6. #7 Wardrobe, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
    If you do use a sponge, ensure that you rinse it really well first. They usually come soaked in detergent.
    Stick to the moistened paper towel. I soak my seeds in warm water for a couple of hours, then into moist paper towel in a zip-lock bag and put it on my STB for a little warmth. (Folded into a newspaper to exclude light.)

Edit: With expensive seeds like the THC Bomb I'm currently growing, it's not a bad idea to use distilled water for the above. Should have mentioned it earlier.

7. I was going to say that. If you use a old one its a haven for bacteria. Most study's have shown that sponges are filth filled pads. More so then your toilet. If you use a new one there soaked in chemicals squeeze a new one in your sink and a bunch of foam usually comes out. That new smell it has as well is caused from a medley of chemicals used in its manufacture.

8. the main reason I like paper towl is if u leave that little bugger alittle too long she will root into the sponge thereby causing u to tear it. with a paper towl u just add water till the towl falls apart freeing the seedling . just my opinion though

9. With paper towel, if you leave it too long and the roots go through/into the paper, just plant the whole piece of paper. For multiple seeds, cut the paper up.

10. paper towel provides moisture just like a sponge and sponges hold bacteria more so then a paper towel i would rather have a fresh palertowel everytime then use a damn sponge thats been sitting for 4 months. Temp is also not the most crucial it is crucial but not the most... U could sit a seed in a sponge thats dry for 6 months at 76f and it would never germ water is also crucial so is air so is darkness theres no one specific factor that out weighs the others its all or nothing without one u cant have the other.

11. wet paper towel, in a plastic box.. close it put it somewhere dark or in a pillow case. leave for 3 days.. job done

12. Clod I respect pretty much everything you say, but I have successfuly germinated countless numbers of seeds in paper towels. :smoke:

13. paper towel provides moisture just like a sponge and sponges hold bacteria more so then a paper towel i would rather have a fresh palertowel everytime then use a damn sponge thats been sitting for 4 months. Temp is also not the most crucial it is crucial but not the most... U could sit a seed in a sponge thats dry for 6 months at 76f and it would never germ water is also crucial so is air so is darkness theres no one specific factor that out weighs the others its all or nothing without one u cant have the other.

14. What about the little germinating cones you can buy at any garden store. Has anyone ever tried this?? I have 8 Jedi seeds that I'd love to one day see double my height. But it is my 1st time with anything like this so I'd love to hear all opinions possible!!

15. What do you mean by germinating cones? I always like to germinate my seeds before planting, although you don't have to do it this way. I have used those jiffy seed starter pellets that expand when you add water and I have gotten good results.

This isn't my preferred method. I start them off in paper towels and then transplant them into usually Fox Farm Light Warrior. This is my favorite way.

Next time I start seeds I will do a video and take pictures of the entire process so I can help people understand what I am talking about. There are different methods of germinating seeds that all work well.

You just have to find a way that you like best. I believe there is a good sticky on this subject.

16. #17 Kingthechammy, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Ok thanks fellow blade. I have seen a lot of success stories from this who use paper towels. But I have also heard that people buy special germinating cones that can help facilitate the little seedlings..

I like the way you say find something I like. After all they are my special very own little babies. I have some real nice gated property up the the canyon. Its south facing with a ton of sunlight throughout the day and i plan on growing the buggers creekside just a few yards from a natural spring in the area. I think it's going to be a good summer!!