what is the minimum wattage?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Elijames21, Jul 17, 2011.

1. is wattage a word? but yah whats the minimum wattage u could use?

2. good rule of thumb is 100watts for the 1st one. Depending on what kind of lights you use you will need more. If you have a HPS you most likely have more then 100watts. If your using CFLs to generate it as it gets bigger you will need more so you end up with more then 100w.

3. umm a 100 watt floourescent bulb? and um sorry what does cfl and hps meen? im new to this and im learning before i start

4. These CFL's are a good amount of light for the price and fairly cheap to run...

200w bulb on right and 125w on left.

Attached Files:

5. #5 icheefaduhreefa, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I.gotta 300 watt and a 24 watt going I'm gonna throw a few more compact flourescent lights=cfl hps=high pressure sodium in other words its a flood light

6. Yep, I pretty much use CFL for veg only and HPS for bloom. MH is great for veg too, but gets hotter and costs more to run than CFL's. At least that's what my power bill was showing me.

7. Yea I have 4 65 watt hps that I'm gonna use for flowering

8. thank you all for ur help

9. i found a 75 watt hbl but could i just use a 40 watt incadeasent with it?

10. #10 pedrowarez, Jul 17, 2011
    Incandescent's are not that great for vegging. They use more.energy and create more.heat than CFLs.

11. Incadeasents do nothing. The idea of lighting is to simulate the sun. Plants use certain parts of the spectrum to grow..the rest they do not use. Incadsents while they can be bright and give off light oviously they give nothing in terms of spectrum.

Go to Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot. You can find CFLs by the 3 pack. They say daylight and soft white. One kind is better for veging, other for flowering.

12. cud i pass with a 75 watt on one plant?

13. Sure, but you're going to yield about 7-8 grams.

14. ok that sounds great to me! this is my first go so i will be ahppy with 1/4 oz

15. #15 pedrowarez, Jul 17, 2011
    Trust me....your gonna want more.

How long do you expect to smoke on a 1/4?

Hopefully not 2-3 months(not including dry and cure), and that's if you got another crop to start.

You should try and aim for a larger.yield. ;)

I guess baby steps....all in due time.

16. well i live with my rents and their kinda cool with it but id rather not get caught. recomment any equipment?

17. #17 pedrowarez, Jul 17, 2011
    Not to rain on your parade, but you need to not have that hanging over your head. If you truly want to grow and have even a.modest setup that provides you with reasonable amounts, you should increase the scale of your grow.

IMHO- You should do a micro dresser.grow or something else that's very stealthy.

18. yah i guess i have 21 ak-47 seeds.

19. It's not worth getting caught and all the legal issues that come with it.

Do you live in a state where you can seek a medical permit. That would "protect" you to a certain degree, depending on your grow size.

20. If you live with your parents then don't try to grow without their permission. Assessing them as "kinda cool" isn't good enough, they need to tell you it's OK. Otherwise, many bad things and nothing good. First off, you will get caught, growing MJ involves strange smells, sounds, and activities that you can't get away with under someone's nose. Since you are trying to hide it you won't get a proper setup going, which means you pose a risk of burning their house down. If you don't do that then you put them at legal risk. It's very disrespectful to them as they are providing for a roof over your head to break their rules and steal their electricity. And even if you somehow get all the way to harvest without getting caught or setting the house on fire, you will end up with less than a 1/4 from a 75w light. 100w is the bare minimum for CFLs, so no 75w isn't enough.

All that time, effort and risk for nothing.