What is the legal status in Canada-Not laws, but the actual precedent.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by KKoosh, Apr 1, 2010.

1. I've gathered information from various sources-documentaries, NORML's site, this site, and I just need one solid, concise definition of the legal status of marijuana in Canada. I live in NJ so I don't know anything about up north, but I may go to college there next year. So what is it? Decriminalized? Completely disregarded?
    (Two notes: I'm not deciding my college choice because of this, and before everyone starts speculating, I'm eighteen).

2. Marijuana is 100% illegal in all of Canada. That is all you need to know.

You can get a criminal record for simple possession and potentially a jail sentence. Growing and trafficking are strictly enforced and you can do a maximum of 7 years for cultivation. The law is the same for the entire country unlike the US.

In some regions such as BC the police will usually not charge you for small amounts but they do spend a lot of time and energy going after grow ops. Getting busted is no joke in Canada.

3. Yeah the cops can be real dicks here (much like US cops).

But it's widely tolerated by most people. I'm from B.C.

4. What College/University are you going to? It depends where you are in Canada, but for the most part Marijuana is widely tolerated among the populace. It is very very common at Universities and Colleges in Canada, so don't worry about that. Police CAN charge you for possession etc, but I have found that most Police will not bother you unless you are causing a scene. I have smoked joints in front of police officers at places like Marijuana Million March, concerts etc and they won't bother you. Police will only really start getting involved if you are dealing, but as for purchasing and smoking it you should be pretty safe.