What is the job of a Police Officer?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cereon, Feb 7, 2014.

1. To make arrests and to protect the public at large. If you are a large public you're good but if you're an individual well..

2. A police officer is there to do,his or her job.I know this is a weed forum so hate will be spread but it is there job to so what is told of them and although taking weed off people is wrong there just doing as told.when someone is giving power and control they can use it either good or bad and a police officer is the perfect example of this.

So there are more corrupt private security forces than legit ones?

That doesnt make any sense from a business stand point, or if they value their lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_principles

"Just following orders", isnt an acceptable defense. I know war crimes =/= decisions by the 5-0, but the moral theme is the same.

5. To protect and serve the establishment, which in turn they have become a part of.
    Police officer is synymous with policy enforcer.
    They enforce laws in return for money and protection.

Blackwater? They are also paid by, and work for, the government -- although they are not employees. They would be little different than the government-paid force we already are having to deal with.

The goal is to get away from a coercive, political government and its armed, politicized enforcers.

Yup.

The job of a cop is to enforce domestic policy.

The job of a soldier is to enforce foreign policy. However, as history shows, they are often turned back onto their own populace.

8. They are a privatized security force, right? That is what you are wanting so if they are the lowest bidder that is what you will get. Also if everybody has their own security force it will be all out war.

Government officials are elected or appointed by elected officials. The point I am making is I don't see things changing based on who is doing the bidding for big bro.

9. #49 goober0331, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014

Blackwater is a war-time mercenary group that operates as a NGO for the US government, its a little bit different than some security force protecting your community, or the mall you go to.

I also dont see how you can generalize one NGO and say that is what all security forces would be like, or how you can say if everyone had their own security it would be chaos.

Its like you havent read any of the things I said in this thread, or actually thought about it for a few minutes.

It's all about incentives.

Blackwater is a mercenary force. They will do the bidding of whomever pays them; in the case of them in the Middle East it is Washington. Any armed force will do the bidding of whomever is paying them. If there was a domestic non-politicized police force, hired by citizens' interests (as is the case in gated communities now) then they will have to follow the rules set down by their customers or be fired.

It's not any more complicated than that.

11. Not right now of course but in a system where the police only protect those who can pay youll run into lots of abuses. Competition will cause these companies to be very aggressive. hey wont be killing people in the street but the kinds of things you hear about now like police officers doing cavity searches on the sides of roads and using excessive force will increase. The companies will have quotas like they have now for regular police but employees will feel even more pressure to perform. You can always hire another security firm but most people probably wont if it brings crime down and they arnt the ones abused. These cities and towns and neighborhoods will just brush it as long as only the real criminals and people they view as outsiders who arn't paying for the protection. Once again they wont be killing people in the street but there will be more abuses and with little to no public law enforcement to speak of it'll be hard for the abused to do do something about it. They can take the company to court and they might win but who will force the company to pay? Law enforcement is privatized and I doubt companies will go to war with each other and if they did shit will get real expensive for the guy paying.

Increased pressure to make quotas set by the people hiring them and the need to stay competitive will cause an even greater police state.

12. #52 STIGGY, Feb 9, 2014
    The Police enforce the Laws that the corrupt politicians you elected write.....

This really makes no sense. People hiring those security dont care whats in your butt or about making quotas. People dont desire that, so they wont hire people to do that for them. If security forces are going around trying to apprehend people outside their jurisdiction it wont hold up in ANY court of law, not to mention risking their own lives.

People want to be kept safe, if those contracts from the security arent fulfilled, then they are liable to go to court for fraud. If people find out those companies refuse to pay, then they will be ostracized and nobody will want to do business with them.

I dont think you understand what a market is.

14. I was just using them for an example. If you don't think that they would bid on the contract to police your communities I think you are mistaken.

So let me make sure I'm understanding this every community/corp is going to have their own security force? And they will be doing the bidding of whomever has the funding to provide? I think this will fail. Everyone community could have a different idea of what should be enforced. So in one I might not be able to bump bass down your streets and some communities could be pro mj while others aren't. I don't see how you would think there wouldn't be chaos. In rich communities there could be an abundance while in poor they might not be able to afford one.

15. #55 Nerd139, Feb 9, 2014
    How else are private police going to protect an area from crime if they dont do any police things? Like frisk people for weapons and inquire what someone is doing in an area.

Right now private police dont do that but I am saying if police were fully privatized they'd have to

I never said they couldnt protect communities, but generalizing them as the end-all-be-all for private security is wrong, and I specifically pointed out how they operate more with governments in war scenarios than in local places.

If people want a security force they could have one. And yeah, people will have different ideas of how their community should be run, and if you choose to live there, you will see a contract which you must voluntarily agree to, or be at risk of violating their laws.

You arent describing chaos at all, just people being able to govern themselves without a ruling authoritarian figure they dont voluntarily agree to.

And a business will go to wherever they can make money, including poor communities.

Yeah, and they have no jurisdiction outside that area, and the people hiring those forces must voluntarily agree to what they will do, and people moving from area to area must also agree that they know the terms, or else there is no valid contract, and they can be taken to court, for things like fraud, violation of property, etc.

Police do police things right now, except they do things that people dont voluntarily agree to, and violates peoples rights constantly, and almost are completely unaccountable to the law.

18. #58 forty winks, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014
    The defintion of a police is doing things people don't voluntarily agree to.  That's why it's called the police, private or otherwise.

19. I think it's quite a bit more complicated than that. Gated community doesn't = country of millions. What happens when you fire one of those companies? There will be a lapse until you find a replacement.

We agree that things aren't great right now. We disagree on the cause and what is the solution. I don't see how you think people will all of a sudden hold a force accountable for their actions when we don't do it now.

20. If the city hires a company for the city then the citizenry must submit.

If a citizen is hiring the police then any committing an act against the citizen must submit. 

No matter how you look at it for the police to do police work somebody is going to have to be forced to do something they dont want to do.