What is the job of a Police Officer?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cereon, Feb 7, 2014.

1. I'm still trying to figure out what police departments are doing with humvees and MRAPs...

When was the last time a police vehicle was targeted by an IED?

I've driven both of those vehicles in shitholes before, but even the shittiest urban area in the US doesn't exactly necessitate hardcore armored vehicles.

I guess its just fun to play commando.

2. And to justify their wildly over inflated budgets. If they don't spend every last cent then the budget will be cut. We can't have that so they buy extravagant military hardware and go over budget to justify the budget increase that they will ask for next time.

I have heard of the military donating these vehicles as well for the same reason or the federal government gifting this shit to local police in exchange for ramping up drug war efforts.

3. Cops in armored vehicle: "He's resisting arrest! Shoot him with the machine gun!!"

4. Fuck cops fuck the government

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Or, the easiest way to suppress dissent is with a show of overwhelming force.

6. Police are there for one purpose. To generate revenue for the state. The more police, the higher the crime rate. Not lower. There job is to shoehorn people into the system, nothing more. Privatize the police? For what? Corporate gain? They are there for the state.
    Now a Sheriff is an elected official, and answers to his constituents just as any local elected official should. It is the Sheriff's duty to investigate and arrest corrupt local politicians. Now do you understand why corrupt judges and prosecuting attorneys/DA's prefer a state police system that answers to them vs an elected official who is above them?
    I could take you down the rabbit hole on law enforcement Alice, but this Google tablet is a bitch for extended discourse.

7. #27 jas43, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
    It's a good show.

But armored vehicles in police departments will hardly make any difference if shit ever went south.
    Their facade crumbles under stress.

They're incredible vehicles but they each have many weak spots. It doesn't take much learning ;)

8. Nothing says freedom like privately funded security!

Yup, you can fire them if they don't do their job. Unlike what we have now.

10. Nothing says freedom like being forced into a violent police state that you can not opt out of.

11. #31 Nerd139, Feb 9, 2014

People already cant afford healthcare and are dying, what do you think life is going to be like when they cant afford the police? Look what happens in Detroit. Shit is state funded and the police still dont show up. 

You do know people already have the option have hiring their own private security. If a neighborhood wants they can have their own private police force.

I think there will be a lot more corruption when the police are controlled by private citizens.

12. #32 goober0331, Feb 9, 2014

You do realize that the point of a business is to give services that are priced correctly as to be available to the most people, meaning a business cant just stick an arbitrary price onto something, because the demographics their appealing too couldnt afford it. Why do you think that without the state things would be unaffordable, especially since the opposite tends to be true?

And yeah, Detroit police force was failing, so private security started popping up and did a much better job.

Why would there be more corruption? You're talking about something that can actually be held accountable, and could actually be taken to court for any violations. There arent any incentives for those private forces to be corrupt.

Yup, in the real world, away from state influences, a business must please their customers or face going out of business.

14. Not corrupt towards their hires but towards other people. Cops beat the shit out of people now, what do you think is going to happen when the only people that can stop them are rival companies? 

Think what will happen when people start protesting agasint companies and the only police are the ones hired by those companies? Bye bye free will.

I guess the protesters can hire the police to protect them as they protest and we can just have an all out war being two company police units.

Not to mention all the neat toys the private police units will have. If people think the police are militarized now just wait.

The state system needs to be fixed not done away with.

What?

Private security doesnt have the protection state police do, private security can be sued, can be killed for initiating violence (self defense), and can be ostracized for violence, and nobody would do business with them. Do you forget that America has more guns in circulation than people? So those private forces are gonna roll the dice with their own lives?

And so companies are just going to hire thugs and mow down protesters? Really, so just mass violence, even though we dont see it today? And not to mention all those things people can do towards corrupt private security can happen to companies, and on top of it, violence is economically unsustainable, and really, who would want to be hired to kill innocent people?

I mean come on, think this through, dont just have wild assumptions.

I run into people all the time (the vast majority of people) who are horrified of not having a violent, coercive, unaccountable state in control of everything.

They have been so conditioned by the state and its tentacles (media, academia, Hollywood) that they cannot conceive of any other entity doing things like building roads,* law enforcement, etc.

*FWIW: In most places private businesses do the actual road building anyway. The state just takes the money from citizens, filters it through the bureaucracy, pays off the political supporters/unions/etc. and the rest goes to the private contractors who are actually going to build the road.

Once it's built, the state maintains monopolistic control of it, just like they do nearly everything else.

Another point: The vast majority of people who bitch about business monopolies have no problem at all with -- and will even defend -- government monopolies.

17. If we would actually hold our officials accountable things wouldn't get out of hand but when the man says no free speech over here people willingly walk to allocated zones. I also don't think a Black water type police force would be any less brutal infact would act with impunity like they do in warzones. When was the last time you saw a video of someone being beaten by an LEO and anyone did anything besides take out their phone this needs to change before anything else will imo.

18. I meant that if we have people paying for police there wont be much of an actual police force to prtoect us from the police we have to pay to protect us.

19. If we can protect ourselves by having people with guns all over the place then we dont need police at all.

20. A mile from my house is a corner where at least 5 people have died there in the last 10 year's. I've never seen a police there. Reminding people that speeding is dangerous. Just their presence makes people slow down. If they showed up there regularly it would no doubt save lives. But there is no revenue for them. A couple of corners down and then there is a big straight away probably about half of a mile long. They always sit there trying to get that person going a few miles over the speed limit , although in my almost 40 year's if existence no one has ever died there. I can't even recall a wreck on this straight away. But thats where they make money! Protect and serve my ass! They actually think citizens dying is a blessing. ...it makes there jobs easier less to police, less to keep track of. I know plenty of police officers and not one of them is a stand up person. Even their loved ones will tell you that they have a controlling side a inhumane side. I call it a dick! Policeman are dicks

bat mobile