Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What is the difference between these two different looking buds?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by KarmaMusic, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Hey,

I had a quick question because this honestly baffled me.

I had a very nice grow this year, and I have grown years before.. but I NEVER have had a strain/plant that came out like this.

Normally, all of my plants come out in that cone shape/christmas tree/dense bud look.. such as this :
    http://i.imgur.com/69asp.jpg

BUT one of my plants, which is INSANELY NICE, grew differently. The colas and what not are not those very dense and thick christmas tree/cone shapes nugs.. they are twisty , like this :

http://www.grasscity.co.uk/online_headshop/THSeeds__Darkstar.cfm?iProductID=8046&bForceShow=1

I am unsure what strain it is, because I wrote it down and lost which were which.. but it is the only plant of mine that came out like this and I want to know why and what the difference is between the two. 

I could take some pics and post them, but the pictures I put in should show you exactly what I mean.

Thanks!

2. The strains you're used to are indica dominant (body high) and the questionable one is more sativa dominant (head high).

I don't know fi this is true.. it is to an extent. But I know for a fact that a few of mine were sativa because I remember a few of the strains I planted and which they were. As well as being able to tell easily it was sativa due to long/taller plant stature and the thing leaves.

This plant didn't seem like a sativa dominant because it was more bushy and smaller.. but it was taller due to the place I planted had surronding foliage it needed to grow above. But it was bushy and a bit shorter than some of my other plants. Though I did top all of my plants a lot.

4. #4 KarmaMusic, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
  5. #5 morange, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
    Every strain buds a little differently than others. More sativa heavy strains will tend to grow longer and fluffier buds whereas indica varieties tend to grow more dense and solid. In my personal experience, generally indica dominant strains that I grow will stretch after 12/12, then the budsites you see after 3 weeks just keep swelling and growing larger/connecting until harvest. On the other hand, sativa dominant strains that I've grown tend to stretch a lot after 12/12 and then flower by filling in the branches, instead of growing taller.

example;

[​IMG]

EDIT: from that last post looking at that picture, looks like a hybrid little more on the indica side. That strain probably just doesn't grow dense thick colas. I've grown Indica plants that have looked just like that when flowering, here's a papaya I grew few months ago:

[​IMG]

when you say "twisty' i think the term you are looking for is foxtail buds.

6. Now that I really looked at the pictures, the second one is definitely an indica as well. That's funny. It even says it's an indica haha. :smoking: Hmmmm... I'm stumped. :p

7. Pretty sure that certain environmental elements can cause visual differences as well. However, I'm no expert and am not going to act like I know more than I do as I could very well be wrong. You're probably better off approaching someone who knows a fair bit about growing many different types of strains many different types of ways in many different environments rather than (most people in this section) just typical consumers who a vast majority of haven't grown before. Not saying growers don't frequent this area, but this section is littered with more non-growers than say, the growing section :)

Good luck and I hope you find the information you're looking for. My best answer to your question is "the looks" :bongin:

8. Those are foxtail buds you're referring to, but I don't know what causes them