what is the difference between CFL and Fluorescent?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Chimeng, Nov 18, 2008.

1. after i read Kamel's CFL guide, i realize CFL was much better then MH/HPS, damn i've already bought both MH & HPS :p if i knew this thread before i wouldn't do such stupid move
    so i plan to use CFL light, but i dont know what is the difference between CFL and Fluorescent?
    can i use Fluorescent for growing too or get CFL?

2. hps and mh are better then cfl...it just depends on how you use them and all your circumstances....do some more research if you already have those lights stick with those lights...

And flourecents are long bulbs like you would see in an office building...cfl's are Compact Flourescents, same thing just the size of a normal light bulb all coiled up..RESEARCH!:hello:

3. are you sure MH & HPS are much better than CFL?
    man i almost threw away my MH & HPS :D
    but how about the light spectrum, i see that HPS has lower spectrum than CFL, was that make big difference?

4. The primary difference is in size; compact fluorescent bulbs are made in special shapes (which require special technologies) to fit in standard household light sockets, like table lamps and ceiling fixtures. In addition, most compact fluorescent lamps have an "integral" ballast that is built into the light bulb, whereas most fluorescent tubes require a separaThe primary difference is in size; compact fluorescent bulbs are made in special shapes (which require special technologies) to fit in standard household light sockets, like table lamps and ceiling fixtures. In addition, most compact fluorescent lamps have an "integral" ballast that is built into the light bulb, whereas most fluorescent tubes require a separate ballast independent of the bulb. Both types offer energy-efficient light.te ballast independent of the bulb. Both types offer energy-efficient light.

ps;dont know where you get cfls are better than your mh & hps ,no contest mate hid lights are far superior to cfls

5. You obviously have a little more reading to do.

Yes, HPS and MH are theoretically better than CFL. They are HID lights and get better light penetration than CFLs. But it really depends on your wattage and lumens. So, what is your wattage?

HPS is a lower spectrum because it is used for the flowering cylce of your plants life. MH is used for veg. Yes, it makes a big difference.

6. Did you cut and paste this from somewhere? I think you repeated it twice. ;)

7. yes i agree CFL need weird fitting which kind a hard to find in separate piece i.e table lamp but each light has their own strength
    ok now i understand everything about light spectrum found in HPS & MH. will begin to start my first grow maybe tomorrow if everything went smooth, atm i only need pH measure but it wasn't really important since my soil pH has 6.8 out of the box so shouldn't be worried too much :)

8. I want to clarify that "higher and lower spectrum thing." I guess it all depends on what your definition o spectrum is but HPS lamps have peak output in the red end of the visible spectrum...in the 650 nm range.

MH lamps have peak output in the blue end of the spectrum around 430 nm.

The inverse is true if you're talking color temperature...HPS is rated at around 2300 degrees kelvin where the MH lamp is around 5500 degrees k.

Note that CFLs also come in these color temps.