Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

what is the cap on metal pipes for?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mysticherb, May 12, 2009.

1. well i just bought my first metal pipe, (i've had glass before but i like this tiny little metal for tight situations) but what is the little cap with a hole on top that screws onto the bowl for? i know i probably sound like an idiot but i cant figure out what its for besides maybe to help it cherry better.
    thanks.

2. im not to sure but i think its for when you drop it and the weed wont fall out. idk i hate metal pipes

3. I've only used metal pipes a few times in my career as a stoner (but not for almost ten years, now), and I've never really figured that out. I always thought it had something to do with keeping a cherry going, but whatever the purpose, it's never really seemed to help or hinder the smoking process for me.

4. yea like i said im not 2 sure either. i been smoking since i was 8. and never bought a metal pipe. just used 1 a few times that my friend back in cali had. i grew up with pot heads and glass is the way to go until you drop it. but you can always go2 a smoke shop and ask

5. it helps to not lose so much smoke. because its a pipe, when not being inhaled through the smoke just goes out the top and thats wasted THC...

and glass pipes cant really accomadate a screw on cap, but metal can. so tey put it there

6. idk ive only smoked out of a metal pipe once and it wasm y first time tokin lol i really never figured it out =/ metal pipes are alright btw for like on the go or somthin idk they can be good for some situations but glass is a lot better

7. basically what it does is serve two purposes:

one, to prevent most of the weed from falling out of the bowl.

two, you can keep that screw on cap and just suck the flame right through. it helps prevent any weed from burning unnecessarily

8. Genie capp! Keeps smoke in, less wated THC. Keeps weed from spilling out, but my fav of all.... Covert smoking. I can hit a metal pipe all day, in plain sight, and you might never know.

9. #9 hobobob, May 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
    they are mostly worthless unless its a sneak-a-toke then it is to stop the weed from falling out. otherwise it just makes the bowl last longer.

edit

oh ya and on some pipes you can take the cap flip it upside down and put it in your pipe, then just load weed into the cap if you dont have a screen for your pipe, that lil trick comes in handy every now and then.

10. stops weed from falling out

preserves weed

makes it so it smokes less

makes it more portable

11. Wow, nice job on abusing the rep system, kid.

12. Thats what my thumb is for.

13. I've also wondered about this.

The pipe I have... it has a cap but the cap has a hole in it (I'm guessing yours does too?). I first thought it was so that you could screw the cap on and then light it with a match in a nice way.

I haven't tried screwing it on WHILE smoking though because I fill my bowl to the top anyway so I can't screw it on unless I want to crush weed or put my screen lower but I don't think I can.

Next time I replace the screen I will try to push it lower and not put as much weed in and try to smoke with the cap

14. Back when I used a metal pipe, I actually did the opposite of what everyone else is talking about. I would put the cap over the bud, then cover the hole with my thumb to extinguish the cherry when I was finished with a hit. Than I'd just relight whenver I was ready. Saved the weed and prevented too much smell. I'm sure that's not what it's intended for (why the hole), but it worked for me, so I did it.

15. I don't like the cap, I took mine off.

16. I'm sure you're wasting more weed by lightning it up again than letting it cherry a few seconds..

17. It helps snuff weed out BUT ACTAULLY the cap is made for storage while traveling etc .. It keeps half burnt bowls from emptying in your pocket or storage space, plus most metal pipes have chambers which can easily hold a few bowls for a road trip so you only need to carry a pipe and not a tray/jar in your vehicle plus it practically can't be broken like a glass bowls

18. You don't waste THC because no much smoke goes out, that also puts off the fire on the grass rather quickly, lighters don't last.