What is the best way to measure PH on a low budget?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Meriovingi, Aug 23, 2009.

1. I need to start measuring PH as my plants are having a few problems but don't have enough cash to buy an electronic tester i was thinking of getting one of these soil testers....

Plant Nutrition Nutrient Management Soil pH Meter

but have read up on a few threads and people don't seem to recommend them my other alternative is a simple liquid tester kit

Plant Nutrition > Nutrient Management > Budget pH Test Kits

what would you recommend? and if i am to use the liquid test what would be the best method to get the water? i was thinking if i test the water before i water the plant n get it to about 6 then water the plant until water drains out and test the drainage would the result be accurate because ive put 6 ph water in? or should i use what ive always been using up until now, flush it , then test the water? and then start the adjustments? This is my first grow indoors so im trying to learn as much as i can from it, TYIA for any responses

2. i dont trust the soil meters at all i think there garbage and a waste of money
    if you are a budget minded grower like myself i'd use the ph drops you buy at any pet/fish shop for 5 bucks or so. not 100% accurate but damn close enough i use them myself because i'm a cheap bastard and i dont want to pay 50 bucks or more for a super fancy reader, the drops have worked just fine for me with no serious issues

3. Thanks ive put an order in for the liquid tester kit already, what is the best method for getting accurate results from the drainage? and i didn't want to splash out on fancy equipment on my first grow im just trying to learn from everything so i can get good at growing my own bud, hate the inconvenience of having to pick up off other people...