Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What is the best way to handle

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by alwaystokin1, Jul 6, 2011.

1. MMJ user, sent in resume, couple hours later, received call to interview tomorrow, did not notice in the ad "must pass drug test".
    Employer manufactures health foods with many prop 215 users as customers in large prop 215 area.

I generally do not apply for such positions but did not notice the drug test statement until after I accepted the interview.

What is the best method to deal with this with an employer?

Do I tell employer I am a prop 215 user if they decide to send me for pre employment test or if test is mouth swab or do I just tell the lab, do I use synthetic urine and say nothing, do I call them back and discuss it with them before the interview?

Any advice?

2. Hmmm...so many ways to go...

Be honest and stand up for your rights, even though the state laws won't back you (no job)
    Cheat the test and be subject to cheating more test, fail once, no job
    Tell the interviewer you've checked out the company, and you do not want to work for them (and why, if you really want to make a statement about your medical rights even though the state won't back you up)

I like the third option...say "naaa, I don't wanna work for for a company that oppresses my right to LEGAL medical treatments." And ask that they not contact you in the future unless they stop the unwarranted DT's

...but that's just me...(known to be blunt and unwavering unless proven wrong)

old story; I had one temp spot offered, Addeco knew I didn't do the wiz quiz thing, but the guy said I had the job as long as I passed the piss test...stood up, held out my hand, as he shook it, I told him he could keep his job...refused his test outright, said I'd never take one, unless the owners, and executives took one with me...anyone that failed, would not work for the company...and walked out smiling. His jaw had dropped...:D

Within a week, he was calling me, leaving messages the test would be waved if I came to work for them (I was an expert in that field, only person available). I never called back...to me it would be enabling/supporting an oppressive and invasive policy on others, not worth it.:cool:

3. Moral high ground ftw.

4. I think honesty is the way to go. Give them a call and explain that you can provide medical and legal paperwork demonstrating that you are in full compliance with your state's laws. Also, make a SOLID statement that you would NEVER come to work impaired in ANY way, or use MMJ on the property.
    Don't act nervous or apologetic. You are NOT a criminal and you are NOT doing anything wrong or illegal. If they discriminate against you for MMJ, then they have to fire everyone who takes ANY medication, and I just don't see that happening. Of course, they can come up with some BS way to cover their tails, but then you will know that this is not somewhere you want to work!
    Good luck!

5. Fake piss, sorry to say, but the general public believes typically what people tell them to. I'm in an mmj state and my boss has made comments before about medical "potheads"... So they are out there, there is a a double standard for sure. Just from my experience!

6. Also, I might just be high right now but... Since its medical, its going to show up. That's like letting your boss know, hey I'm on meds!@!. something might be up with me? I don't feel comfortable disclosing my conditions to people that are not medical healthcare professionals, thus I choose to use fake urine and haven't looked back!