What is the best soil mix for growing outdoors?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by JohnnyMnemonic, May 7, 2012.

1. Can anybody tell me what are the best ingredients and in what proportion should i add them to the soil for a perfect mix ?

2. The best soil for growing cannabis outdoors is sandy loam. Native, natural cannabis grows in sandy loam and prefers disturbed soil such as is found in a river valley. I live near a river and the plants i plant in that soil grow to 12-14'. its sandy and black and im not sure it can be purchased anywhere. In fact, each fall i go to the river bank, dig a supply up and transfer it to my outdoor holes. I cant buy anything as good.

However, there are some good packaged commercial soils. Sunshine Mix is a good, relatively cheap pottting soil. Miracle grow will work. Pro mix is decent and relatively inexpensive. Then of course you can buy very expensive soils such as Fox Farm that are great, but at 30$ a bag- Damn!

Good luck.

3. #3 Boggieman, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
    I would suggest making your own soil, it will be very effective and affordable too, here is my mix I use outdoor with great results, whichever way you go the ideal mix is 30% organic matter, 50% sphagnum peat moss, and 20% perlite.

15% wormcastings
    15% mix of mushroom compost & composted chicken manure
    50% sphagnum peat moss,
    20% small grade perlite

The ammendments are added per cubic ft of soil (a cubic ft is about 6 gallons)

1 cup mexican bat guano
    1 cup jamaican bat guano
    1 cup bone meal
    1 cup greensand
    1 cup azomite
    1/2 cup kelp meal
    1/2 cup alfalfa meal
    1/2 cup crab shell meal
    1/2 cup neem seed meal
    mycohizzeria applied as package recommends

4. One really good cheap soil is "Kellogg's patio plus". It's sold at home depot and has almost every ingredient mentioned ^ already mixed in. It's always good to add a gallon or so of worm castings to this. The Kellogg's is all organic and won't burn your seedlings. Hope this helps

5. And 1 cup garden lime per cubic ft.

6. Are they amending existing soil outside in the ground or are they asking what to add to potting soil?

7. thanks for the tips but i think i'll go with a pre.mixed ready to go soil. just because i don't know if i can find all those ingredients :D

8. That is what I am using this season.
    I had seen some bad things about this soil such as bio-solids being added to it's "compost" ingredients but an email from the company in response to my asking about this told me that it is an OMRI rated organic soil and there are no biosolids in it. If that is true this could be one of the best values out there from the big home improvement stores for soil, especially at less than $5 per 2 cu.ft. bag. :smoke:

9. [quote name='"MotaMike"']

That is what I am using this season.
    I had seen some bad things about this soil such as bio-solids being added to it's "compost" ingredients but an email from the company in response to my asking about this told me that it is an OMRI rated organic soil and there are no biosolids in it. If that is true this could be one of the best values out there from the big home improvement stores for soil, especially at less than $5 per 2 cu.ft. bag. :smoke:[/quote]

I started my plants outside in the Kellogg this year and so far the plants are growing really fast and have not shown any signs of deficiencies. I'm on month 3 with this soil and they are thriving!!! I would recommend it to anyone. The only other thing I use with it are Ewc/molasses teas. It's going to be crazy to see how big they are in October if they are this big in the beginning if may