What Is The Best Soil For Seedlings???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by troykey9, Sep 6, 2011.

1. I tried to use the FFOF to start one ,but FFOF nute burnt it to death!! Any Ideas on what will not kill my little seedlings??:confused:

2. One that says *Seedling Mix* on it?

Actually, even the MG seedling mix is pretty decent.

Wet

3. Fox Farms Light Warrior is what I got. Haven't used it yet, but I hear good things about it. Same with Happy Frog soil.

4. I was thinking MG seedling but it's not organic. I think I might try light warrior or the rapid plugs.

5. The only MG soil I would suggest is Organic Choice. But as a rule I stay away from all MG soils.

If you're really worried about burning your plants, just get a bag of some cheap peat moss based soil, and amend it with some perlite/vermaculite for aeration. Once you have 3 true leaf sets, then transplant into your FFOF.

6. 3true leaves meaning when the first 3leaf grows out????

7. No. The first set are called cotyledons and aren't considered true leaves. They are just the initial solar panels to get the plant started on making it's own food. They will die off about a week into the grow.

So the fourth set I guess :p

[​IMG]

The smooth leaves are the cotyledons, the serrated ones are the first set of true leaves.

8. oh ok I got you now!! thanx man

9. ^^^^^ Which is exactly what MG seed starting mix is, just about all of then actually. I agree totally that this is what he needs for the seeds.

@OP Don't worry about them not being 'organic'. They don't have that label because of either the vermiculite or the perlite. There is lots of stuff that is 100% natural that is not technically 'organic'

Don't get hung up on that term till you know what's what.

Wet

10. So MG seedling starter is natural? If so I'll pick some up.

11. Well, read the label, the one on the back that lists just what's in there. They should have more than one brand, so read them all and then decide.

Just make sure there are no added nutes. Seedlings don't need it.

Wet

12. Can a person use the Seedling Mix all the way to the end or not?

13. #14 akhans, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2011
    You could pootanging, but it would need supplements to get the plant to harvest.

Honestly, for a seedling soil, you just want something with low nutrient value that won't burn your plants. Basically any soil that isn't "organic" will have added nutrients, which is what you don't want. Be aware many that say they are organic do though. Always look at the NPK ratio on the bag.

Any soil, especially Miracle Grow, that says time release fertilizers or feeds plants for more than a month is not what you want for a seedling soil.

14. Dr Earth Organic Potting soil! its great i love it!

15. dont listen to MG haters all the time becuase they are wrong. i would not recommend any product without first testing it with several strains and i can tell you that their seedling mix works well. it would help to add a little dolomite lime, but i have found 100% germ rates and no burns. and if you don't own a ph meter use distilled water only..you can't screw up.

16. what about this stuff ProMix_Ult_Organic_1cu-ft.jpg :confused:

17. Pro-mix is a pretty good soil. I've tried the Promix BX and it works great. Kellogs is another good soil that's easy to find in home depot/menards.

18. Good stuff, but still could be a bit hot for seedlings.

For transplanting later, yes.

Wet