What is the acceptable age to leave your parents home when youre not going to college

Discussion in 'General' started by hippie flip, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Saw a friend I have not seen in a while today, anyways straight to the point, he has a decent job (he works as a plumber) has a brand new car, an annoying girlfriend, and a pretty decent overall life, but I noticed he has absolutely no motivation of moving out his parents house any time soon. No surprise really, I went to school with him and his parents are rich (got him his job, bought his car, basically got his life on a plate by them).

This doesn't bother me, and I don't really think any less of him or anything, but I just thought that if I was his age (19) had a steady job (it's pretty much his career now) I would be moving out ASAP, then I thought, at what point does it just get fucking weird to still be lounging around your parents house even though you have a job and everything?

I am at university so I never really thought about this, since I knew I would be moving out when I went.

Thoughts?

2. i a knew a few people who still lived at home at 21. they were losers, but both worked for their parents as a contractor and a garden store manager. havent talked to them in a few years and dont miss hanging out with them. i had a few failed launches after i got kicked out of my parents house a month after i turned 18, but im on track now.

21 is kinda losery to be bumming around the house. you should be self sufficient by then.

3. I know some kids that still live with their rents that commute to school to save money. No point in getting yourself into more debt than you need to be in.

4. Missing out in my opinion.

5. With the economy the way it is, I see people at all ages who either still live with their 'rents or had to move back in with them.

Hell, I had to move back in with my mom when I was 23 to save some scratch. I'm back out now, but it does help when you have to do it.

No shame in it at all, its family, isn't it?

6. 19 is fine IMO. I stayed home my first two years of college. No point in moving out and spending twice as much on school when I didn't know what I wanted to do yet. Once I figured it out i was out and am now looking for my own apartment back home. (i'll be 21 by the time I get my own place, was 20 when I moved out)

7. Shit and I totally did not read the last part of your topic...

I agree, moving out was sweet, my health was pretty lackluster for about a year but it was on the up and up after a while.

8. i was 15 or 16 when i moved out....forget which exactly.....
    but had been the only one paying the bills and buying groceries at my dads house for at least a year before i left......maybe longer...

9. I was out at age 17 (still in high school) but I have a couple friends that are in their 30's now and still live at their parents.

I think it is a personal choice between you and you parents. Culture plays a factor in all of it too.

10. 30? Sorry no "culture" can make that acceptable for me.

11. never said I live by it. and I meant that different cultures have a different level of expectation for when they want their kids out of the house. Asian cultures are way different when it comes to leaving the nest than American cullture.

12. Your parents must have hated you.

13. Not really, most asians I met have parents that want them to go out and become a doctor, professor or scientist as fast as possible.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVODv8A5-EM]You Doctor Yet (Family Guy) - YouTube[/ame]

14. #14 Herb Pheonix, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2011
    Im kinda in the same boat but im your friend... and i moved out..

Lol

I got into the family business and shits kinda taking off. Im not rich.. far from it but im definatly doing well and can smoke all da weed i need..

But ya as it says in the first sentence. I moved out.. lol kinda...

Into a motorhome. But an apartment soon. Im looking for a solid roommate. Not that i couldnt afford it just all my friends are lazy stoners that wont get jobs...

Im 18 btw..

15. im 19, working for the family biz after going to college for a year... Easily could move out and get a apartment, but I like my parents crib and I'm saving money anyway to take the winter off to snowboard out west!

16. #16 Lenny., Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    I didn't go to college and I stayed with my parents until I was 21. If it was up to my parents, I would still be living with them, because I was an awesome kid. Been working hard, and saving my money up since I was 16. So when I was still living with my parents, I was paying my fair share.

The only reason I moved out when I did is because one of my coworkers was getting evicted and couldn't find another place because he had a felony on him, so we got a place together. I didn't want to see him homeless because he is a really good friend to me.

But in my opinion, if you aren't going to go to college and you're a legal adult, then it's up to your parents who own the house whether you should stay there or not.

I find it stupid when people who turn 18 and want to go out and make it on your own. The real world will kick your ass. That's the lesson I learned from both my parents, who both moved out at 17.

17. lol, hope this FG clip is not a form of citation. Notice I never said a set age for either culture to abide by simply stated their different. Again it is culture and personal preference.

In my situation I knew from a very early age (15) that my plate was broken at 18, having my shit together or not was not a factor in my family going back at least to my fathers gen 18 was the cut off, for me and all my brothers, my little brother litterally recieved a brand new suit case for his 18th. Day after his Bday he was on his own.

18. I'm in my first yr of a 2 yr program I commute to school because I still wanna play sports and be around my hometown and don't feel like putting my self in more debt then I already will be in when I graduate

After I graduate I plan on living at home for another yr to save enough money to buy a place instead of renting an apartment or some shit.

I'm 19 now be 20 when 1st semester is over with so guess with what I wrote that means I plan on moving out at 22/23 ish

19. I was out at 16, my brother originally moved out at 20. He is back now, taking care of our Mom [she is 88, we are trying to keep her out of assisted living as long as possible]

20. im 19 right now. About to get my first legal job and im finishing highschool online so i can do it whenever i want. When i have my first job down and settled im going to get another one to take up the rest of my free time. i wanna make as much bank as possible so i can move out around 22/23.