What is propoganda and is it bad?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by yurigadaisukida, Jan 17, 2014.

1. What is propoganda?What if i were a writer? Would my writings not be influenced by my political beliefs? Is it even possible to read a book or watch a show that does not contain some sort of propoganda?Do the people who give writers contracts have their own agenda? Or are they just giving us what we want?Are they brainwashing us? Or are they making money by selling us what they want?Does the media really have a "liberal bias"? Or does the media sell a society with a liberal biased just what we want?Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. It has defined our society and made the world as it is. We're just a bunch of sheep following the Shepard in the propaganda.

http://youtu.be/EVw2_ZR7mao

3. the best was to deal with propaganda is to live your life according to what you believe is right and best.  you are closer to being free that way and less under the merchants of intrusion and influence.

Sometimes what you believe to be right and best is based on propaganda.

5. so waht to do then?

6. [quote name="forty winks" post="19356156" timestamp="1389936188"]so waht to do then?[/quote]That is the question isnt it?Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. propaganda is what I say it is and if you disagree then you must be one of 'them' :ey:

(did I get it right?) :confused_2:

Question everything. Engage in critical thinking. Ask "who does this benefit?", "why am I being told this at this time?". Observe patterns and explore every possible scenario. Use multiple news sources and cross-check them.

Pick up this book: http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Lie-Former-Officers-Deception/dp/125000585X

(Yes I have read it)

Try to spot patterns and indicators of deception. It is very easy to learn using video of people caught in scandals (politicians, bankers, athletes, etc.)

The bigger the lie, the more potential for benefit. If something benefits one person greatly, seek to expose truth and uncover anomalies. If no anomalies or contradictions are present, if no effort is made by that person to hide, distort, or shroud the truth, and if they have no anxiety over exploring the topic in-depth then they are likely not lying, as good liars need equally sufficient memory (and a poker face, which most politicians simply do not have).

9. Propaganda can be quite subjective. I like my propaganda with a strong anti government bias.

10. I read some political magazines noticed there are more blue and red colors... I think they are using propaganda to sway ideas towards them "I experienced several more of these deeply euphoric moments on my rambles through forest and meadow. It was these experiences that shaped the main outlines of my world view and convinced me of the existence of a miraculous, powerful, unfathomable reality that was hidden from everyday sight" -Albert Hoffman-

11. It distorts the truth

It is always bad

12. Which definition are we using? Its important to start with that. 

including navel gazing

14. #15 LDSR, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2014
    I too request definition.  

I'm uninformedly (did I just make up a word?) thinking that propaganda is ammoral like a tool/technology.  So maybe it matters how people use propaganda??

Like, James Murray Rothbard Esquire III, posted a prime example of propaganda.  I wouldn't call it bad...in fact I liked it.

I can imagine a Fox New version w/ Obama for 2 minutes of hate.

15. Are youtube videos warning of economic collapse not libertarian propoganda?

Did ron paul not use propoganda to spread his own beliefs?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

It all depends on the definition.

1. Propaganda is a form of communication aimed towards influencingthe attitude of the community toward some cause or position by presenting only one side of an argument. Propaganda statements may be partly false and partly true. Propaganda is usually repeated and dispersed over a wide variety of media in order to create the chosen result in audience attitudes

2. information, esp. of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

3. ideas or statements that are often false or exaggerated and that are spread in order to help a cause, a political leader, a government, etc.

4. information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc

So many words. So many different pathways.

17. Very true.  So many of those youtube videos don't just omit part of the truth but blatantly lie.  I wouldn't call it "libertarian" propaganda.  I'm sure the people making those videos give fuck about philosophy and are either trying to deceive people or are ignorant of the subjects they preach.