What is our true weight ?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Peacefullbuddah, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was wondering , what is the true weight of everything ?

I'll explain what I mean . Atleast from what I've read , our weight changes depending on what planet we're on . I would be much heavier on Jupiter than I am on Earth , because Jupiter has much more gravity . So with that said , on which planet would my weight be correct ?

It seems like our weight is dependent on how much gravity we have on us . So how much would I weigh without gravity ? Obviously I wouldn't weigh the same amount as I do on Earth since my weight on Earth is determined by Earths gravity . So lets say we have 100 different sized plantets all with different gravitational pull , we would weigh a different amount on each planet ... so which weight is right ?

I don't know , maybe there's a simple answer .

2. ... wow. i think i lost some brain cells just reading this post. dude seriously?

your mass. you're asking about your mass. mass does not change regardless of where you are.

your weight is your mass times gravity. different gravity gives you different weight but it will never change your mass.

go smoke and read some elementary physics. or just read.

• Like Like x 1
  3. /thread lol

you can weigh nothing in space

and you can weight three or four times as much as you do now. on a planet that exerts a higher gravitational pull

wow lol

4. lol owned

5. #5 cantharis, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
    Your mass is measured in kilograms. Your weight is correctly measured in Newtons, and is the gravitational force between you and whatever planet you are standing on. If your weight on Earth is 1,000 Newtons, your weight on the moon will be 160 Newtons. In space, you will have no weight at all.
    But your mass, the amount of matter that makes up your body, will be the same throughout. In this case your mass is 102 kg, as Earth´s gravitational field strength is 9.81 Newtons /kg.

6. #6 Peacefullbuddah, Feb 5, 2009

Damn man , you make grasscity such a friendly place to be . :hello:

And no , those braincells you lost are from your mom talking hits of crack while she was pregnant with you ... sorry to be the bearer of bad news .

It's arrogant assholes like yourself that turn every thread into a hate thread . Seriously , you can't just be a Decent person ? You can't just explain to me what I don't understand ? No , you have to go out of your way to make people feel stupid . You have to be an asshole to anyone who doesn't understand everything that you understand ?

If you read the last part of what I said ... " I don't know , maybe there's a simple answer " .

So friend , maybe you should go smoke and read a book on compassion , and then maybe you won't feel the need to make others feel stupid . Ya cocky asshole .:wave:

7. Thank you for explaining it WITHOUT being an arrogant douchebag like wagnar .

8. Hey man , why don't you hop off wagnars dick , you dick-riding asshole .

You're the type of loser asshole who can't even think for himself . As soon as someone else starts hating in a thread , here you come following . I bet if wagnar said something poisitive to me , you would have been positive .

And no shit , you can't weigh anything in space . That wasn't my question . My question was that if I weigh different amounts on different planets , then which weight is the correct weight .

Wow , lol ..... what a douche . Maybe one day you can grow up and think for yourself . Hop off that dick man it's leading you down the wrong path ! :wave:

9. #9 Peacefullbuddah, Feb 5, 2009
    I just want to say , some of you people on here really turn grasscity into an unfriendly place .

You know the people that I'm talking about . They only have negative shit to say to people . They purposely try to make others feel like shit . And they try to make themselves feel better than others .

All I can say for wagnar and widow , I really hope that you guys are like 15-16 years old , because if you're any older then I feel sorry for you . You obviously still haven't learned shit in life . Shit you don't even know how to treat people with respect .

You know what I've realized though , people who act arrogant and disrespectful to others haven't had enough life experiences yet . If you had experienced more , met more people in different situations , then you would probably be more compassionate . But your arrogance just shows that you lack compassion , and that you favor being concieted .

So go experience life a little , meet some people out there suffering , meet some people in bad situations ... then I believe you will come back with understanding for others , and your childish arrogance will be gone .

10. Seriously you guys who are being cunts to this guy need to stop. - on that note, yes our mass does stay the same, but that doesn't seem to be his question.

- To me it seems like this. If we as humans did live on lets say 10 planets all different in gravitational pull and size, - would we still measure ourselves by weight?

- Simple answer, you wouldn't have a true weight. It would be like going to a different state. Your state ID says your from the state that you are from. Now it could be like that for plants.

- My ID would say my name, and say I'm from earth and weigh 135lbs. Somebody on planet Cock-gobbler like ragnar_wagnar there would see my ID and say, "Oh this guy weighs 135lbs on earth so he weighs X amount here on Cock-gobbler where I reside."

11. ^^ Thanks man , I'm glad there's some people who can avoid the mob-mentality .

And yeah , that's kind of what I'm saying . I understand that mass doesn't change , but I was curious which planets measurements of weight would be correct , since weight differs from planet to planet .

Obviously this shows my lack of knowledge on the subject though . I don't know the scientific aspect of it , like newtons and such . That's why I was asking in the first place , because of my lack of knowledge .

I thought maybe it was an interesting question , so I wanted to see an explaination .

I should have expected the hate bullshit though . Something I always seem to forget , just because you smoke pot doesn't mean you're a chill person .

Thanks for being cool though . And good job thinking for yourself , some of these people haven't gained that virtue yet .

12. Yeah I don't know anything about newtons either, but then again, I don't want to :)

- I don't know which weight would be "true". I think it would go by planet ID like I said. If there had to be a designated planet to determine true weight though I would assume earth since its our current first known planet.

13. I feel like people would use units of mass if Olesmoky's hypothetical were true and humans were dispersed among planets with varying gravity.

Oh! And! The other guys forgot to specify (I think) that you are only weightless when you are far from anything with a large mass. That is, you are not weightless when you're orbiting a planet. There is a perception of weightlessness, but in reality what is essentially taking place is perpetual falling - due to the effects of gravity on your mass. Since gravity is acting, you are not weightless. The sensation of weightlessness comes from the absence of the force of the ground pushing back up on you. You are only weightless in space if you are far enough away from things to be (essentially) free of their gravity.

14. isnt your name peacefullbuddha i dunno if buddha would have acted the way you are

and i thought this was all common knowledge for a high school graduate

15. If you think graduating high school requires you to actually know the material, then you're a silly goose.

16. Well as far as which weight is correct, I could only imagine the weight your scale tells you considering we came up the the damned idea on this planet.

17. man you people need to chill the hell out. he asked a stupid question, so he gets the appropriate "youre stupid" response. get over it. what, your ego is that bruised? frankly your reactions to my answer is whats "cockgobbling" or whatever the hell.

18. Yeah , I'm usually peaceful , except with ignorant people who need to shit on others to feel better about themselves .

Common knowledge for a high school grad ? Didn't your buddy say this was "elementary physics" ?

19. #19 Peacefullbuddah, Feb 5, 2009

Bottom line is , you're an asshole . Even if my question was stupid , that doesn't mean that you have to be a dick . You could have just explained it to me (you know , since you're the master of all knowledge) and I would have been fine .

If you act like an asshole to me , then you'll get it right back . No one needs your negative bullshit .

My ego bruised ?.... This is coming from the one who is arrogantly putting his inteligence above others . This isn't about ego though , this is about me being sick of you dickheads on the city who go around and shit on everybody . I mean seriously , why was it necessary to make such an asshole comment ? Sure you're allowed to , but why ? Wouldn't you rather help by providing knowledge ? Instead , you don't help my lack of knowledge , you just insult my intelligence .

Does it make you feel good about yourself when you have more book-knowledge than someone else ?

Also , you said that it was a "stupid question" . But did you stop to think that maybe it seems like a stupid question to you because you understand the subject ? It's not a stupid question for someone who has little understanding of the subject . And we'll see how well you retain what you've learned in school when you've been out for a few years . I'm sure when you get older you'll still remember everything you learned in grade school ... yeah .

20. you didnt take physics in high school. . .? what is this world coming to
    and you need to chill out lol i wasnt meaning to be ignorant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.