What is Obama going to change about Medical Marijuana Laws?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mjboy, Jan 22, 2009.

1. I heard on the news really fast that he planned to change somethnig for the worse for us medical marijuana users. I didn't get to see what it was so I'm asking you guys to see if i can learn a little something today. Let me know any info you may have about MMJ and Obama. thanks

2. Where are you getting your news? Hopefully not these forums. Obama has far greater concerns than medical marijuana right now, don't you think?

3. I wouldn't think that's correct. I believe he said he wants to end federal raids on medical marijuana dispensaries and that he believes more research should be put into it. I would assume this is correct because it seems to be a science first approach for this administration.

4. what's a greater concern than a possible treatment for cancer and many other ailments?

terrorists? bailout packages? stimulus checks?

5. #6 IGOTJOINTS4YA, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
    less than 1% of medical marijuana is being used in MMJ states for cancer.

that doesn't seem a very efficient way to make sure it is used for that purpose.

Medical Marijuana talking points like that are bullshit like most talking points are bullshit.

6. i saw that already but this was yesterday on the news. i missed it

it was fox 11 and i missed it. He does have greater things to do but im just asking if anyone knows more.

7. While campaigning, Obama said several times that he would put an end to the federal raids on medical marijuana patients in states where it is legal.

I don't think we should be expecting any huge changes in marijuana policies any time soon though. The new administration is faced with a whole slew of problems that should take priority over this.

8. i don't get where you're going with this... so because less than 1% of the MMJ is used for cancer treatment, then it shouldn't be researched as a potential treatment for canc

maybe it's less than 1% because there's still such a taboo surrounding MMJ and most "legit" doctors are frightened of losing their licenses.

9. You were painting a picture that because that marijuana should be radicalized because of it's ability to treat cancer, I bring up the point that in the states where it is radicalized that most of the patients use it for much more minor ailments.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThVFEokVRbg"]YouTube - New Politics: Anti-Hillary, Pro-Pot, Pro-Gun[/ame]

you can get your point across without talking points, and I am not advocating that marijuana should not be used in conjunction as a reliever for pain in cancer, but you know and I know most medical marijuana is not used for that.

Start the argument where it should start, marijuana was made illegal for reasons other than medical ones and it has medical benefits, end of story.

Using little jimmy with glaucoma is something reserved for politicians, not good wholesome people like you and I.

10. if i were looking for an arguement or some sort of serious debate with you i would take your advice.

i understand that most MMJ (at least in cali) is used for recreational puropses.. that doesn't mean that we should just ignore it's health benefits.
    IF in fact it can cure or shrink certain forms of cancer as well as treat pain etc.. then to me that should be just as big a priority as sending out stimulus checks or any of the other crap at the top of a politicians agenda.

11. well cancer is an unresponsive cell, for marijuana being a cure for fixing unresponsive cells.

Red whine has been said to keep you from aging, I wonder what the prohibitionist would of said to that when they outlawed alcohol. They would of responded that does not matter because alcohol keeps down people and breaks up homes.

Marijuana is becoming socially acceptable like alcohol has been, it just takes time.

Politicians only do what the people want(for the most part), and at this time the majority do not want marijuana legalized even medically in most states.

People want a stimulus right now that is why they picked Obama, 8 years ago people wanted tax cuts so they went with Bush. Time changes, societies change, some things stay the same.

Marijuana is not staying the same, give it time.

12. i hear ya dude.. and i totally agree that weed isn't near as unacceptable as it was even 5 years ago.

really my only point was that IF there is any shred of evidence at all that perhaps cannabis can control some sorts of tumors (i'm not a Dr so don't ask me to get technical), then to me looking into it would be just as important of an issue as anything facing the President today.
    some may think that getting a $1200 check is more important, or catching Osama in Pakistan is more important.... i'm not speaking for them, i'm only speaking for myself.

sometimes it makes me nuts when people come on and give the "MMJ is not as important as this or that." To some people it just might be.

peace dude :)

13. A crumbling economy that's causing an explosion in poverty, homelessness, and criminality. Plus little things like the crisis in the middle east, and countries with nuclear warheads getting really pissed off at Israel and it's protectors--that's all. From his perspective I think he probably figures there are already legal treatments for cancer, and they'll just have to suffice until he has nothing better to do.

14. cool danko.. i wonder if we'll ever see the day where the president has "nothing better to do"

15. Immediately after his inauguration, Obama will balance the budget, revive the economy, solve the real estate problem, solve the auto industry
    problem, solve our gas/alternative energy problem, stop the fires and
    mud slides in California, ban hurricanes and tornadoes, stop identity
    theft, reverse global warming, find Osama, solve the Israeli-Palestinian
    conflict,get rid of corruption in government and achieve world peace. Then on
    the 7th day, He will rest.

16. There's already a thread for dumbass predictions, stop c+pasting your Obama fan letters.

17. It's a bladdy joke :confused: not a fan letter, read it properly or get a bladdy sense of humour

18. yea, I get it, but posting it in multiple threads...

Its gotta be an email from the Obama fan network?

19. I sure hope so August

You kind of have to wonder about people who get so angry over a man who has brought so much hope to so may people. It sort of reminds me of how certain people felt about Dr. King and Gandhi.