Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What is 'medical' marijuana?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Appocolyptik, Nov 15, 2008.

1. I don't mean this offensively, but what classifies as 'medical' marijuana? Do you smoke it? Use a vaporizer? Make brownies? Take marinol? I've read a lot of people on here who don't seem to need marijuana medically at all, they just use it as an excuse to procure legal weed. Can smoking ANYTHING really do your body any good? The only thing I can think of that marijuana geniounly helps cure is insomnia, because my friend has it and MJ is the only thing that helps him with it. I'm sure it probably helps relieve pain a little, but it's never helped me majorly stem any pain.

Enlighten me

2. people should start reading the forum before starting useless threads ............................

3. like you said, inhaling any kind of smoke isn't good for your body, but that's why mmj advocates and spokepersons for it say to use vaporizers and edibles, greatly decreasing the carcinogens entering your body through the use of marijuana. i'm not sure if you were actually asking this, but medical marijuana is just weed from a club.
    :smoking:

4. Obviously you never suffered from major anxiety.

5. #5 Appocolyptik, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2008
    No I haven't man. I've been through a lot of shit and and have really bad anger problems because of it, but never had anxiety problems. Weed helps me a lot with the anger problems but the undeniable negatives of smoking everyday mean its hard for me to class it as 'medication.'

And for the guy who called this a useless thread, I've looked through the forums but couldn't find the answers I was looking for so made this thread. I wasn't trying to offend or belittle people, but was trying to make a genioune enquiry on a subject that interests me.

6. #6 chronicman00, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2008
    All marijuana is medical marijuana or any form of cannabis(hash,brownies,oils,etc)

and smoking anything isnt good for your body BUT mj smoke is a very unique smoke with therapeutic chemicals that can reduce cancer and tumors as well as pain.

7. Thank you for the information

8. Only on weekends probably would be enough to make the stress that builds up to vanish. I have tried at least a dozen different traditional meds, but none had any positive effects, some made me lose weight, one made me gain weight. some made me feel like shit, and the rest did nothing. As I am now I can barely function, I am sure there are a lot of people using medical marijuana which don't need it, but there are also a lot that do need it.

9. there really is no MMJ (atleast as far as a strain or anything goes), it's just bud you get through dispensaries, so it's basiclly "legal"(for the state) bud

10. Something notable is that if anything you inhale when smoking is bad for you, it's the butane from a lighter.
    Solar tokes and soldering irons used for lighting utensils take almost all the harm out of the equation.
    Try and find a medical study on lung cancer from weed. The link between the two just isn't there, weed isn't tobacco. A bowl isn't like a cigarette.

11. Lung cancer isn't the only harmful part of smoke. Other, less dangerous ailments (emphysema for example) can be caused by chronic smoking.

12. #12 Hedberg, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
    Emphysema cannot be caused by marijuana smoke actually.

13. Emphysema can be caused by any smoke. It does take a really long time of heavy use for weed to cause emphysema compared to cigarette smoke however, but many medical patients do smoke heavily for years because they need to, which could lead to emphysema. Which is why vapes are best.

14. And there has never been a case that marijuana was the cause of cancer in any patients. I believe.

:hello:

15. #15 theVirtuoso, Nov 17, 2008
    http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20060523/pot-smoking-not-linked-to-lung-cancer
    ^ great read... can tell you A LOT about how straight smoking effects you. For instance...

Smoking bud is significantly less medically-effective than ingesting (not even taking health into account). Edibles are generally the best, but if you still want to smoke a Vaporizer is the way to go because lets face it people, smoking anything has some negative affect on your lungs whether it effects your life at all or not... but really if there is ANYTHING in this world you could smoke and not worry about it, it would be Cannabis... I know I'm not worrying about it :smoke:

16. #16 BubbleFunker, Nov 17, 2008
    First off, some definitions:

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/medicine

Cannabis is medicine. It can be thought of as tonic, as well.

Alcohol can also be medicine, food is medicine, etc.

And, it's medicinal, not medical.

Frankly, we should be calling it "medicinal cannabis," not medicinal/medical marijuana.
    Marijuana is a derogatory term used to make ppl think it's different from the cannabis they were already ingesting from their corner drugstore, prior to prohibition.

17. #17 XIX, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008

I know there is shitty ass weed grown poorly but at least there isn't nasty shit in our weed that is put in there but a huge tobacco company. they are EVIL!

Anyway, I wish I lived in a state where I could get a MMJ Card. Damn bible belt. Weed changed my life for the better. It's the only thing that gives me motivation to not want to sink in a hole and die because I struggle with vast amounts of anxiety, insomnia, PTSD, depression, social phobia, nightmares, anger, panic attacks, and so on. I hate being me sometimes and if it wasn't for this great herb that I would be able to fulfill my dreams, or have the courage to get the help I need from a professional.

I first time I got high was the first time in my life I knew what it felt like to be happy and content and not worry about everything so much. Popping pharmecuticles everyday just to sedate urself from not having to feel anything is not something I want. Marijuana makes me alive!