What is Happiness

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Bolthero, May 5, 2009.

1. What makes you happy? Its a simple question right. But can you define what truly makes you happy without resorting to a materialistic or physical relationship with soemthing or someone else.

Happyness is a feeling, but what creates that feeling and how do you percieve of define it. So i dare ask you, what makes you happy?

2. Dopamines in the brain.

3. yes that is the biology behind it but what causes that dopamine rush to the brain. What stimulates it.

4. Heroin

5. Doing something you love, being with someone you love, feeling loved.. all create happiness.

But what is love? :smoking:

6. Happiness is a decision

7. Happiness roots in Love, or lack of Fear.

8. Happiness is a packed bowl.

9. QFT.. I definitely believe happiness is a choice. Regardless of outside circumstances, you always have the CHOICE to be happy..

10. Happiness was being a child for me...those days...bring me tears..:(

11. Baby don't hurt me, no more.

12. A dub, and a Dutch :smoking: and that's about it for me, pathetic I know. :(

13. how about contentment?

14. I'm usually happy whenever I have clean clothes, a clean room, a fresh shower, fresh socks, and a good sleeping pattern. And of course if my family is happy.

Doing good deeds, in private and in public, gives me a certain satisfaction too.

15. i think anyone on this forum could agree to that ahaha.

16. Relating or being a in a situation where there is pleasure or no need to be afraid.

17. (Implied) sadness.

18. I saw a ted talk where the guy basically said we judge our happiness compared to those around us. If we are in better situation than our peers, we're happy. If we are worse off, we wish our lives were like theirs.

19. What makes us 'happy' is only what we think makes us happy. If were given gold, you would be happy. yet, it dirt were the equivallint of gold, and gold worth dirt, then you would be disapointed in someone giving you gold. you would want dirt. understand?

20. "ignorance is bliss."

don't judge ignorance as a negative thing here.

i think happiness is being in the now; not being burdened by the "past" and not formulating the "future", but fully embracing moments in the "present".