what is going on with my buds and what can I do?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by onlytheloud, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Purple kush plant that I grew this season has been hanging up for 7 days to try. When I started snapping the buds off the stock I noticed right inside a few buds that little preflowers coming right off the stem have turned brown and the odd one even black. The rest of the bud is very green and looks healthy aside from that. I also noticed, maybe because of the dying parts, that my plant lost most of its smell and now is just very sweet and almost fruity smelling (it smelled like skunk when I hung it up). I'm wondering if I break apart the buds and pull out all the little brown preflowers if that would help salvage some of the green. Any thought or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Able to post pics of the "preflowers" and dark spots you refer to?
    Was this grown indoors or out?

3. It was grown outdoor, its my 3rd year doing this same strain outside and I've never had any problems until now. I'll take some pics to post right now so you can have a better idea of what i mean.

4. here are a few pics, first pic is of the bud after i picked all the little brown pieces off, 2 and 3 are best pictures i could get of the effected buds and last picture is some of the actual brown preflowers that I've taken off

Attached Files:

5. Man, the pic's are a little out of focus, but honestly, the ones you picked off just look like dying pistils (hairs), and it's a natural part of the plant reaching maturity and being harvested. All pistils die and turn brown, orange, even purple after harvest. And it's perfectly normal after you've cut the crop and hung it up to lose it's aroma replaced with that "cut lawn grass" smell. This is the chlorophyll evaporating from the plant, that has to happen as a part of the drying process.
    If you hang until the bud's dry to the touch (but not crispy dry), then put in a paper sack and fold it closed, this will sweat more moisture out of the inner bud. The sack is actually slowing the drying process, giving the chlorophyll more time to evaporate. Open daily and allow to air dry a bit more, even if you have to spread it on a table outside the sack. Once the bud stays dry in the sack, move it to an airtight container like a glass jar or plastic GLAD food container with snap-on lid. Leave it closed, checking daily, for more moisture to sweat out. At this stage, open daily and if more moisture is present, air-dry until it feels dry again. Repeat until you can go 5-7 days without any apparent moisture coming out.
    By this point a richer, even more pungent aroma should start coming back. Keep curing, the aroma keeps getting better. A good STARTING CURE takes about three weeks. Going longer only improves the high and aroma.

Hope this helps, bestaluck to ya.

• Like Like x 1