WHAT IS FREEDOM? The Unlawful Act of Drug Testing.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cosmicmonster, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Good Afternoon, everyone. I'm fairly new to this forum, but not to the smoking world. My purpose for posting this thread is to get some different opinions, as I am soon to start work on my thesis on Freedoms, Human Rights, and Drug Testing in the United States of America.

A Little Background (you don't have to read it):
    On July 3rd of 2008, I was arrested for "Drunk in Public" and "underage possession". These are in quotes because I was never breathalyzed nor did I actually possess alcohol, that charge was based on the fact that I was in fact "Drunk in Public" (though, denied a breath analysis at my own request) and would have, in that circumstance, possessed alcohol in my system. To make a long story short, the courts really fucked everything up and confused the hell out of me. When in court for the underage possession, I had already paid my fine for the DIP and that was apparently my admission of guilt. So, to "be nice" the judge told me that I could participate in an approved alcohol education class and complete 50 hours of community service. DONE. However, to oversee my completion of these things, I was placed on PROBATION which was not stated during my trial, that I would be drug tested or even be on papers. My final Disposition is April 17th of this year (next month). I recently went in for a drug test, my observer (from a window) said I had a small container. BULLSHIT. When I gave her my sample, she refused to accept it. She told me to come in the next day. Overwhelmed, that night, I had a smoking session with some friends, and I hit a perc bong for the first time- TOTALLY WORTH IT!!! Then, the next morning, I diluted and gave my sample. They sent it to the lab, so I have no idea if I passed or not, but my guess is that I'm fucked. Seeing as I have completed EVERYTHING I was supposed to do and it is all about to be over next month, I'm worried what this might hold for me. Nevertheless, I've been preparing to write this for years, so what a better time than now?

The Jist of it All:
    Some pervert watches me urinate in my bathroom through a window, this guy gets convicted, BAM, he's a sex offender. But, my government grants permission for someone who I find to be a stranger to watch me urinate, while I hold the cup in a way so she can watch the piss go into the cup? This means that I must expose my genitalia (I am a girl).
    Also, besides the whole "watching me pee" thing, how is my government allowed to tell me what I can and can't put into my body? I understand they can tell me what I can and can't buy, or what I can or can't possess. However, I find it against the constitution for my government to tell me what I can and can't put into my body, granted to me by a much higher power- the power of nature. Forget "decriminalization", the act of drug testing alone violates my rights as a human being, let alone being forced to urinate while someone I don't even know watches me? And if I refuse? Automatic positive drug test, 10 days jail time in my commonwealth. That should be against the law.

Where I Need You All:
    Nothing official has been written about Drug Testing and Human Rights, which is why I feel so compelled to write this. Perhaps as a horror story to the free world and a wake up call to government. What is your take on my situation, which could easily be YOUR situation? How do you feel about the Drug Testing Policies/Procedures/Protocols of the United States?:confused_2:

I have refused to quit smoking weed throughout this whole process, and whatever I get, I get. I am a rock solid believer that DRUG TESTING FOR ANYTHING is absolutely WRONG.

2. #2 Sam_Spade, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
    I'm fine with it. :)

Drug testing policy that is, in your situation. The drug legislation is the only thing that should be changed.

Sounds like you were simply a victim of your own judicial ignorance.

If it helps keep drunk teenagers off the streets, than I'm all in.

3. This is true, if perhaps I would have known better in the first place. But to say that there's nothing wrong with forcing someone to give you their bodily fluids? No, I'm sorry. I'm not opposed because I can't pass a test, I've passed several of them, naturally. I find the whole thing to be a total invasion of privacy.

4. #4 Sam_Spade, Mar 14, 2009
    Yeah sure, and convicted serial killers are having their freedoms violated as well.

You commit a crime in a society with a functional criminal justice system, then yes, you can expect to be stripped of some of your liberties, at least for a temporary time.

If you are knowingly breaking the law, you should at least take responsibility for the consequences, whether or not you agree with them.

I see no reason to sympathize with you, beyond the bizarre drinking age laws and drug prohibition policy; both of which are grander than your personal circumstance.

Protesting by continuing to consume illicit drugs is not going to help you at all; it will probably result in even graver penalties. Learn to play the system, otherwise you're just victimize yourself more.

You might feel that your idealism is somehow virtuous, but it will not help anybody. Arm yourself with your experiences and contribute your renewed efforts to legislative reform.

5. I'm with you.

The government should have no legal right to ransack your body fluids.

This just opens the door for much abuse in the future.

I feel that we will soon be forced to submit blood, hair and stool samples thrice weekly in order to receive our government welfare and health care. :rolleyes:

6. Let me clarify. I am speaking of legal adults who have committed no crime.

I am still against drug testing per say.

7. Haha, yes, a convicted serial killer would have his rights stripped. Serial killing is not natural, it's not something that only affects ONE person.
    No, by continuing to smoke, I realize that I only subject myself further to the harsh ways of our government.

Here's the million dollar question, Sam, you are seemingly for a law change concerning marijuana, and since you post here, your opinion must be that there is nothing wrong with smoking weed. And, if I were to say that it's not nearly as dangerous as alcohol, a legal substance, you would agree with me. However, you feel like it's okay to have my rights taken from me for a plant? Something I do in private, without harming anyone, without driving or even leaving my home, sometimes ;P

I'm not entirely talking about MY situation, especially for my paper. I'm concerned mostly whether or not it's right to forcefully collect samples from someone, and more often than not, observe their private areas in some way while doing this. I'm sure you can't exactly disagree with me here.

8. #8 Sam_Spade, Mar 14, 2009
    No, that's why I seek repeal of the prohibition.

Compulsory drug testing is a vital component of the criminal justice system, especially when violent crime is involved. Mens reus is a fidgety bitch. It's all about context.

EDIT: that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if some on this forum would rather do away with criminal justice, and just go back to lynch mobs

9. Not that I'm unwilling to hear an adverse opinion on the subject matter, this is the whole reason I posted this. So, I'm not trying to sound irritated, i hope i'm not coming across that way.
    Overall, obviously I'm opposed to the whole thing, but I do understand the purpose behind drug testing. For the mean, nasty, scalliwags that roll into courts all the time, I suppose you can't just let people be on their merry way, you must impose drug testing to make sure they're getting their act together, and working on being functioning members of society. Really, though, the drugs that are actually doing our society harm do not stay in the body very long at all. The average is a week including cocaine, heroine, meth, etc. The fact that those drugs can't easily be detected if the user knows about his/her drug testing defeats the entire purpose of trying to keep people straight when you only have to abstain for a week. This makes marijuana the black sheep of sorts in the drug testing world. With all this being said, drug testing is relatively pointless and only serves to give the grimey government more control in punishing those that are actually innocent, in terms of being alive and human.

If the drug testing stopped, what would really happen? Drug use happens every day, whether we see it or not.

10. I reject that false dichotomy.

11. #11 Malenki, Mar 14, 2009
    Drug testing is bullshit. But it does protect employers in some cases. An even bigger pile of bullshit is getting polygraphed for a job. dont fart on the butt sensor or it might show up as a lie. lol I was never even offered a drug test. On the polygraph Brinks told me that I was a drug addict and a felon. Im not a felon and my record proves that, and I told them I would take a piss test everyday if they wanted me to.

So yes fuck drug test, fuck polygraphs, fuck brinks, and fuck the system

12. I support that rejection.

13. Drug testing is fundamentally humiliating and invasive.

All modern human rights discourse centers around respecting the dignity of humanity. Drug testing fails to harmonize with respect, dignity, or humanity.

14. and, to make a point clear, I'm not talking about drug testing for companies. A business has every right to ask you for a urine sample. If you do not wish to, all you have to do is decline. Sure, you might be out of a job, but there is no force behind it. I'm talking about mandatory drug testing by the government.

15. Drug testing, no matter how you look at it, is an invasion of privacy. The way they've become almost mandatory for even the smallest of jobs is scary, and Orwellian in nature. Fucking Ronald Reagan. Too bad being an ignorant douchebag doesn't show up in piss.

16. All that drug testing does is discriminate against the herb smoker... Bud stays in your system waaay longer than anyother drug out there... If coke didn't have a half life and was stored in the fat cells like mj, a lot of people on wallstreet would be screwed