What is freedom of speech?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Miklelottesen, Jul 9, 2009.

1. I, as well as you Americans, live in a country with freedom of speech. But do we really have freedom of speech? Yes, we can say whatever we want to whomever we want through whichever media we want without being punished but it's only the first of the three above mentioned us regular, "mortal" humans can do.

I'm pretty sure that I'd never get a chance to speak with Obama (or my own country's prime minister for that matter) and the only way I could communicate with him would be through mail, which he probably would never even open (someone in his office would read and reply for him I assume). Also that letter would just be like a fish in the ocean.

As for the media, air time is really the only way to reach the masses along with newspapers and editors decide what to air or print and once again your requests for air time or newspaper space would be like a fish in the ocean. Plus the media is money-driven so they choose to post what they think the public would like.

Really, freedom of speech is partly an illusion created to calm people down. Discuss.
    :smoke:

2. You're talking about the right to have people listen to you, not the right to free speach. You have a right to say whatever you want, but people (Obama, the public, etc.) do not have to hear what you have to say.

3. Well you're right. But then what is freedom of speech good for to us except we don't have to worry that much about what we say or hide opinions?

4. Basically that. It allows for dissent against those in power, for people to break social norms and be free, to be honest, etc. It even allows us to post on grasscity.

5. And I must say I rather enjoy that right ;)
    But political it's pretty useless, unless you have enough money to run an election campaign.

6. Are you sure we have freedom of speech when anybody with a dissenting opinion is marginalized and made to look like a crazy person by the media?

7. Theyre exercising their right just like you