what is doing this to my leaves?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by GM916, Sep 23, 2013.

1. #1 GM916, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
    hello, its gettin closer and closer to harvest but I got some kinda bug chewing up this poor little clone.
    It was a late-start clone that had just enough time to grow what will probably be a 1.5oz dried cola.
    This is a tough little plant that almost didnt make it so id like to save it.

Im really only about 1.5 weeks from harvest on this guy, so is it even worth it to worry about some leaf eater?
    The bud looks fine....
    eta: its outdoors

[​IMG]

2. #2 Hxcplayer, Sep 23, 2013
    LEAF MINERS! dude i have those on my plant! Check out my thread, i boiled some pepper and sprayed the liquid on my leaves (Didn't help alot). Then i punctured holes in the leaves only on the spots where i thought they would be. Seems to be working, i think i killed em.
    DO THIS ONLY IF YOU CANT FIND NEEM OIL or SPINOSAD WHERE YOU LIVE!

Cheers dude

3. currently the only spray i use is a standard regular spray bottle of water, i add a cap of B.T.(cause I know theres catepillars out there) and a squirt of Dawn Dish Soap for the other nasties.

Im guessin the soap aint killing these things cause I spray every 2 days??
    Or do i need to spray it multiple times a day?

Do we have leaf-miners here in central cali??

Ive been pleased actually, because I have not had a single situation with caterpillars this year, this other leaf-situation sprang up over the last coupla days.

4. leaf miners are every where. All sorts of bugs lay there eggs in your leaves and then when the larvaes hatch, they eat through your leafs till mature and then fly away.
    I don't think soap will do. I'm sure you can find neem oil where you live. If not, get spinosad.
    If none of the above then:
    1. Buy some habanero peppers.\t
    2. Chop up 4-6 of em in tiny pieces (meanwhile you'll be boiling some water)\t
    3. Throw em in, and boil for 10 minutes\t
    4. Once done boiling, let it cool for 30min and pour it in an empty plastic spray bottle (Just pour the liquid)\t
    5. Spray em on your leaves and it should do the trick, if not then just get a tooth pick and puncture where you best think the leaf miners are.

5. #5 blackmore, Sep 23, 2013
    Horticultural neem oil will solve your problem.

These pests will always return. Once you have an infestation you need to spray neem every 2 to 3 days for about 2 weeks.
    Top and underside of leaves. This is because neem has a temporary effect. And you need to get those bugs born between spraying.

You should also tear off the affected parts ofthe leaves and disposeof them.

After youre done with your 1-2 week treatment...itll take a couple of weeks or more for them to return.
    You can feed neem to the plant aswell, so it develops a resisitance towards bugs.
    Its a good idea to add neem to your weekly regimen.

6. I second what blackmore said but don't spray with Neem oil beyond early flowering. It leaves a nasty taste in the buds. But it's up to you. Since Azadactrin (What makes Neem so good) isn't systemic and it's non-toxic, it shouldn't be bad, it'll just taste strange.

7. i broke down and bought a product called Captain Jacks Deadbug...

Says its organic and safe to use on fruits/veggies, the active ingredient is spinosad...

Anybody have experience with this particular brand?

8. Great choice, this has spinosad in it. Some one recommended it for me since he had the same problem as me. Try it out dude, don't how to use though

9. Captain Jack's works wonders, Monterey is a little less expensive, but still as effective.  Accoriding to directions add to a quart of water with a squirt of dish soap and spray accordingly.  Unfortunately, you're a little late in flowering to spray too much, but you should still use it to try and kill any live caterpillars before you harvest.  Finding a live caterpillar in your drying buds REALLY sucks!

10. its been 48ish hours since I doused my plants with the Captain Jacks, I sprayed the hell outta them till they were dripping, made sure to get underneath leaves and inside buds.

Have seen no more signs of any bugs on my plants now, but I pulled all the leaf-miner-leaves so I dont know if it actually killed those things, but I am thoroughly happy with the results.

I just check my trichs and they are starting to cloud up so I have about a week or 2 left till harvest,I have about half a bottle of the premix Captain Jacks left so I might fill it back u with water and spray the plants one more time before I pick em.

Maybe the day before I pick, Ill rinse the plants with clean water...

Captain Jacks Deadbug Brew will go into my defense arsenal for next year...

11. Fortunately, I was preemptive and proactive concerning caterpillars this year, I sprayed bt from the getgo.
    I had caterpillars last year, and they were a hassle for sure.
    I dont recall them being a problem while drying, tho maybe I didnt have as bad of an infestation as others have had.

I wouldnt even be worried about these leaf-miners so close to harvest, except for the fact that this plant in question is really small with a really big bud on it, ie there are not too many large leaves on it so I wanted to save the ones that could be saved.

When growing outdoors, bugs are to be expected, I only try to keep them at manageable levels... like I said, the panic here was the bud/plant size ratio.